All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 08:25 

On occasion we play teams that change half-court defenses on us frequently, often using tactics to disguise what defense they are in. I coach 7th girls and am trying to teach my team, especially the point guards, how to recognize defenses and take charge calling out the offense. The problem is sometimes the point guard does not know what they are in, including myself. Is there a simple method, strategy, or set to get into to recognize the defense quickly?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 08:52 

As your point guard brings the ball down the floor, (both of you can look to see what kind of front they are showing - 1 or 2 guards)

If you are not sure whether or not it is a zone or m2m, have your point guard pass the ball and cut through the defense... if her player follows her... thats pretty much a m2m. You could start out by initiating your m2m offense, whats the worst thing you migh have to do? Reset your offense and go to your zone offense. It would be good if you had an offense that you could run against either.. like a simple 4 out or 5 out pass and cut motion.

Then, as the coach you need to" go to school " on what they are doing ... that way you can help your point guard and all the players as to what offense you want them to run..

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 10:45 

What about recognizing a match-up zone?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 14:39 

Now thats another story ... we played that a lot along with m2m and a lot of teams have a hard time figuring that out.

IF were to play against a match up I would do a complete overload... box on one side and a good shooter on the back side....IF its a match you will see them pick up all 4 players in the box.... High low sets are hard to cover also.

Hope this helps.... and its hard to figure that 7th graders would be able to run a good match up..... you can run some motion too, that will make it hard for them to pass off a player.... a runner on the baseline too.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 07:00 

Thanks Coach Sar.