All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 15:40 

I know this sounds like an odd problem, but please bear with me. I am not an "experienced basketball guy", but work hard to learn for my team and try my best to pass along the knowledge I gain from sites like this one to get my team to be the best that they can be.

I have had the same base team for about 5 years know. 2nd grade to current 7th grade. We have moved up the ranks from rec ball to a high level competitive team (for our area). The main moves in competition have come in the past two years.

It is a group of very athletic kids that can beat teams with just pure athletic ability and a shear will to win. Unfortunately, they see this and choose to go to this whenever they need to. Their offense breaks down and the result to street ball.

I feel that they need to learn how to play as a team (run motion offense, etc..) because they will (sooner or later) run into a team that can match their speed and athletic ability.

They can run a motion well in practice, but come game time...they look like a showtime streetball team....Fun to watch, with little basketball skill.

Is there a secret bullet to get them to work better as a team? Should I?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2010, 18:44 

First, in basketball and I suspect in life, there are no "secret" anythings. There is just hard work There might, however, bullets.

Just get on line, this is coaching. Basketball is a talent based game. If your kids have talent and they are successful, your job as a coach, is to allow them to explore. Push them towards their strengths and away from their weaknesses.

Somewhere along the line, major contradictions have entered the coaching profession. Winning is the only goal, unless they don't win the way I want them to. Yeah, we win games but they don't do what I want. Maybe you want the wrong things.

As a coach, here are the things you have to evaluate, among other things: what is best for my team and where can I have the most positive effect. All teams are different, even with the same kids, and they will react differently. You purpose as a coach is not to make them do what you want, but to steer them to what they do best. Some teams never catch on to offense, maybe your effect can be felt defensively, or vice versa. The one thing I have learned in coaching is, if it feels like a tug of war with your team, you are pulling in the wrong direction.

If they don't buy what you're selling, you have to sell them something else. You have had the same team since 2nd grade? They have progressed, you have to as well. As their knowledge and skills have increased, you have to find new presentations. The primary motivator is success. If they are successful with what they are doing, it will be tough to get them to do something else. That is why John Wooden said, "They always listen better after a loss."

Figure out where you will have the most positive effect and concentrate on that.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 08:34 

Very TRUE words Don...

If they don't buy what you're selling, you have to sell them something else. You have had the same team since 2nd grade? They have progressed, you have to as well. As their knowledge and skills have increased, you have to find new presentations. The primary motivator is success. If they are successful with what they are doing, it will be tough to get them to do something else. That is why John Wooden said, "They always listen better after a loss."

Figure out where you will have the most positive effect and concentrate on that.

Some of our better teams bought into what we were selling.... our philosophy ..... then we had some bad teams... and I don't think it was because they didn't believe in us... they just didn't have the talent to accomplish it.... so we had to be flexible... IF you are not flexible as a coach..... you can be in a whole world of hurt sometimes.

A lot of people felt I was a control freak, meaning they had to do what I said all the time. Well, we ran the open post and all I really insisted upon was floor balance.... it was up to them to read the defense and react accordlingly. All I told them was - do what you do well in practice, don't do things in games that you cant do in practice.

I feel like you have to give them a certain amount of freedom within your system... I wouldn't let them get sloppy on either end of the floor but thats just me. Like Don said... try to keep them playing to their strengths and away from their weaknesses.... They are 7th graders so they will make many mistakes as they learn the game... its a game of mistakes, hopefully they wont make a lot of them - teach them the game, let them know what you think is important and as coaches we can only hope that they put this to use in game situations.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 13:24 

It sounds like you have good ball players and easily beat teams without much teamwork. That can be a problem when you face a good team that makes you run your stuff. You say that your team runs the motion offense well in practice, but not in games. I think that's interesting. A well run motion offense can look like a terrible mess a lot of the time, but it has rules. Establish your rules in practice and make sure they follow them. When you get in the game, follow the same rules. I'm not coaching a motion offense right now, but some rules I might use right off the top of my head are ...
1. After you pass either basket cut or screen away.
2. No shots until we swing the ball at least once (unless it's an open lay-up).
3. No dribble penetration or outside shots until we've passed the ball at least four times.

You will have to adjust your rules to something that you feel comfortable with. These are just examples that I might use. Figure out some rules that will help your team improve.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 09:05 

If their play becomes sloppy because of street ball I would then have a parent or assistant coach track turnovers. Even though you may have won by 20 or 30 there may have been 20 turnovers due to carelessness, showmanship, or undisciplined play.
Praise them for the win but communicate to them about the turnovers and why they happened.

Also, ask a parent to tape the games. Use the tape as a teaching tool. Review the tape first then show the kids what is going on in the game. Show the highlights but also expose the "lowlights" of their chaotic, streetball play. Communicate what they should have done in certain situations during the game.

Lastly, maybe you could arrange a scrimmage against an older team, 8th or 9th graders. This could be a humbling lesson for your 7th graders.

Good Luck Coach!!

Coach A