All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 12:27 

I am a volunteer coach with the Chester - Horicon Youth Commission, serving the North Warren Central School District and the towns of Chester and Horicon, all located in the Adirondack Mountains of NYS. My son plays for the school modified team. 8th grade. At a recent practice the whole team had to run extra because of misdeads of 3 players. My son was not one of the three. At dinner that night urged him to ask his coach why the whole team had to run. Coaches responses; We are a team and by everyone running hopefully those who aren't misbehaving will continue to not misbehave. Seems he is rewarding positive behavior with punishment. I surely can't see how this could be motivating. More likely to be a bit discouraging. What are your thougths and what would you do in this circumstance?
Thanks
Ron

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 12:39 

I think that this coach was hoping that the peer pressure would stop that behavior.... not sure if that is effective or not. Was he trying to create "team" atmospher - probably. As coaches we try a lot of different things to get the kids to understand what needs to be done.
I'm sure I tried that a few times myself.... but most of the time I used whatever I felt was right on the individual (s) that caused the problem. I think that IF it is a TEAM problem.... then its time for everyone to pay the price......

Now, with all that being said.... the longer I coached the smarter I got regarding shutting those things down before they happen.... by keeping things moving and keeping as many kids involved in the drill or the segment you are working on. Usually that stuff doesn't happen if every one is learning or doing something.
That means you need a well thought out practice plan... keep the segments short and moving. I found that time is to valuable to waste on just running.... do what you feel you need to do but put a ball in their hands while you do it. JMO

As a volunteer assistant - I would keep my eyes open and watch for things so you can stop them before it gets out of hand. IF I felt that something extra needed to be done, I would make it short (so I wouldn't waste time) something like 5-10 pushups or a quick up and back to get their attention.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 08:41 

I too am having problems with 3 to 4 boys in the 7th grade. They dont care they are superstars and I can trace most of our losses back to thier lack of teamwork. How do you get around the I dont care mentality and the ME ME ME I can do it all by my self mind set???

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 11:13 

Take one of your practices - split the teams up evenly ...... then play a game to 6 where everyone has to score before any player can hit the game winner... OR - you can pick out the kid that YOU want to shoot. Teaches team work..

Another thing you can do is to play a NO DIBBLE game..... That way they cant have a 1 on 1 tourney.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 06:31 

Running sprints and punishment is never a good motivator for young players. You punish the whole team because of 2 or 3 players. Plus running these sprints wastes valuable practice time.
Running sprints will not modify behavior. Taking away playing time will. Kids WANT to play...take this away and they will respond more postively during practice. Do not bench these kids...but minimize their time. It's important that you communicate your displeasure to both players and parents.

Good Luck Coach!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 06:43 

Maybe I misread your post. You said you are a volunteer coach. For your son's team right? So I assume you are the assistant coach to the team that we are taking about.
I would suggest to the the head coach what I said in my previous post: minimize PT to change behavior.

Good Luck with this issue!!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 11:56 

Here is a great video with Johnny Wooden.... one of the VERY BEST coaches of all time. Well worth the time to watch and listen.

http://www.coachingtoolbox.net/filingcabinet/basketball-coaching-john-wooden.html