All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 10:04 

I am coaching at a very small school in Bay Mills, MI. The boys team I coach is made up of students 7-12th grades. The guys have a very hard time keeping eligible and out of trouble but our numbers are so low that it is very hard to enforce everything (that I believe is important) and keep a team together. Not all of the guys (but not enough to have a full team) are in trouble and they do work hard to play but their teammates cause them to have games canceled. Are there strategies or ideas to try to make this work? Our AD allows for failure so it is very hard to create a positive atmosphere and be able to coach and teach with the integrity I believe in.

Norman S. Brood

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 10:29 

You are in a difficult situation coach. Until you and the AD are on the same page, it wont get any better. I might suggest that you sit down and discuss this with him, going in with your goals and objectives... a game plan so to speak.
The first thing you need to do is to SELL your program to the kids, it has to be important to them IF it is going to work. Think about the things that are important to them and use them to your advantage guiding them towards your philosophy and what you think is important too.
I'm not sure that I understand the entire situation... but if you can, get rid of the dead weight and go with the guys that want to be there.. regardless of age and abilitiy. Build your program from there. IF you have to play a game with five players so be it.
You have to find a way to get them to buy in and WANT to be part of the basketball program at your school. Do you do any team bonding activities, bowling, swimming etc.? Anything that will help these guys come together.
Maybe you can give us a little more information if you think it will help.

Coach Sar