All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 08:20 

I am a coach from Indonesia where I coached the player sma and also in my country club where the top level. My problem as a coach who has experience of bored. 1. I am always slow to learn the game better situation than my players or opposing players. 2. Selfish and less quick to quickly evaluate the game situation, so I\'m also not quick enough to change my strategy either attack or guard time. 3. Often experience disappointment to my players because the players I was playing did not fit my expectations such as not fit what I have given during training and that always makes me frustrated when it was so influenced me in thinking that moment. 4. I'm always not sure to menginturksi players to apply what I've taught. 5. My players often lack confidence to face the opponent, how to make them confident and able to defeat the opponent. I need motivation to learn as a coach how to be useful to motivate them.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 09:04 

A lot of this comes from experience coach.... be patient with yourself and your players.

First of all, be super organized.... I was about as anal as anybody could be when it came to organization.
- Take the time to write down your philosophy... offensively and defensively.
- Evaluate your players and ask yourself IF they fit into what you would like to do... IF NOT, adjust your thoughts and how you will go about teaching them how to play.
- Have a well thought out practice plan - utilizing all the time available to you - waste not, want not!
- Become a student of the game ( been there ) search the internet for any information that you need help with.
- Watch other coaches anywhere you can, pick their brains when possible... (sit down and talk to them) I picked up a lot of the things I did by watching others and adjusting it to fit my personnel. Some of my best ideas came from someone else.
- Go to coaching clinics

BELIEVE in what you are teaching, they have to see that you are excited and believe in your plans.... Don't be afraid to make changes in what you do, IF it isn't working, change it. Sit down after every practice and game - write down everything that went well and everything that needs to be worked on in your next practices.... I did this A LOT. Find out what excites them and use that to your advantage.

One thing we did was to run situations at the end of every practice.... 5-10 minutes of mini games... you make up the situation....... ie; 30 seconds on the clock, down 2 with the ball ( what are you going to do?) OR - down 2 or 3 same situation. I did a lof of this... taking something we didn't do well in the last game - then we worked on it.

Give us 1 or 2 specific things and we can give you suggestions for that..... we can work on this a little at a time.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 17:04 

bolabasketpermainanku: Coach Sars has given, as usual, simply great advice. Weve all been there and done that. Weve all screwed up in games but the more successful coaches learn from their screwups. I used to have my assistant make a log of every time I gave bad advice in a certain sistuation and believe me there were many. As for what to say in time outs, once again i rely on my assistant to write down everything I say while the play is going on. that is when your true feelings and emotions come out. Then i would have something to tell my team during the time outs. As Ken says become a student of the game, I dont think I have created, invented developed any plays or systems over the years, Instead, I have stolen, purloined, pilfered most of it and asked this question, "Hey coach, I loved what you did out there in the third quarter, would you mind diagraming that for me?" any coach worth his salt is glad to share the information. If your practices are getting boring, change things up. do something different find some fun games that also teach basketball skills to do. I love the situations at the end of practices. The best advice given on this forum for you is, "Become a student of the game" remember, motivation to your players comes from your passion for the game. Basketball is like a game of chess its you vs. the other coaches strategy. During games I used to love to surprise and change, what i mean by this is: If my press I threw in following a free throw or a made basket was so successful that it caused the opposing team to take a time out to discuss how to break it, During the time out, I would change to something else, to throw them off. I always want to give the opposing coach something more to think about in other words finding other ways to beat me..hope this helps coach Mac

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 17:30 

I love your comments Mac....... especially regarding "borrowing" things from other programs.... heck, the wheel had been built.... we just want to jazz it up a little bit.... like putting chrome wheels on your car.

Bol.... just read his post and mine... we usually are pretty much on the same page all the time.... what do they say - GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!

Good luck.... and as I said...... write the things down that are specifically bothering you... different situations.... and we will give you some advice...something that is very pertinent to the situation. Or as Mac would say SPOT ON!

Oh yeah, by the way.... and all along I thought that I was the only one doing that stuff Mac LOL