All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 11:33 

I'm throwing this out to all the coaches out there. Just want to know everybody's opinion on this.

I was watching a Marquette hoop last week. It was late in the game, fairly close game. Marquette head coach Buzz Williams called a time-out and frantically reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a little tri-fold pamphlet. He was referring to it as his players were hydrating on the bench. He then put it back in his pocket and consulted with his coaching staff before addressing the team. Coach Williams did this another time during another time-out. He actually held it in his hands the last 2 minutes of the game.
I was just wondering what was this pamphlet? Plays? Game strategies? Game scenerios? Spirtitual guidance?
I saw the same thing a few weeks ago with another D-1 coach.

Most coaches have everything stored up in their head. Does an experienced D-1 coach with 3 assistant coaches at his helm need a play sheet like an offensive coordinator in football?

Coaches, what's your take on this?
Is it common practice with some coaches?

Best Regards,

Coach A

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 14:00 

Coach A -

I've never seen that before... interesting concept... maybe its like a cheat sheet... things to expect the other team to do late in games or certain situations... and the play you want to run vs that?

When I coached football I had a large card with all the plays on it..... maybe I should have had one for Bball too.... since we have so much stuff on our minds.... plays from God knows when... some from other teams and this team etc.... migjt make the call a little easier.

I always felt like we had a good game plan with a Plan B if need be..... its always better to run something that you have practiced but I did make up some plays during games... you just have to know your team as to how far you can go. Heck, I've called timeouts and set up a play, something that they had run all year long... and they still screwed it up.

You bring up a very interesting point... might have been a prayer card... "Please dear Lord let this play work."

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 10:03 

I have worked with coaches who keep notes in the pocket. One coach would make an index card for situations such as zone offense, man to man offense, late game situations, and etc...Often he would keep it in his pocket or even let an assistant hold on to it. It serves as a reminder to him what we had covered for the specific team. However I have not seen very many coaches do that.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 10:52 
Site Admin

Personally, I think it's a must. Basketball is an emotional game and you can get caught up in the game and make coaching mistakes. I used a card at the JV level for reminders of plays that we practiced and game situations. It's especially useful for a lesser-experienced coach like me. Being organized and having less to remember means that you have a clearer mind to focus on the game.

At the college level, the stakes are much higher because the coach's careers are at risk which would create a bigger need for some sort of pamphlet.

As you mentioned, you see many football coaches doing the same thing. Professional football coaches are some of the most organized people on the planet. I think bball coaches could learn a thing or two from them.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 20:41 

How many times have you gotten into the emotions of the game and forgot to run a certain blob play? Or you need to go fast, so you want to put your quickest kids out there? If you have it written down, you have it at your fingertips. You can look at your best ft % team, and make sure those kids are out there if possible late. I think it is a great idea

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 21:10 

I understand what you are saying... Like I said, I coached football and had my cheat sheet but not in basketball... I guess I was one of those guys that could think of my feet well. Maybe it was my sales experience before I got into high school coaching.
I don't see anything wrong with having something written down that can help.... but I had an assistant so that helped me a lot too.