All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 11:45 

Hi guys,
Need your advice on something. A buddy of mine came to me asking for advice and honestly I didn't know what to tell him as i haven't encountered this before in my 30 plus years.
He is asst varsity coach. The team is ok.. thin in amount of players. Decent talent. The coach is in his second year of head coach at his school. He was jv coach for i think 2 years. The team had lost players thru the years because the players just don't like the coach. He's kind of unapproachable when it comes to what the team is doing on the court. The players try to say something is not working but he insists on running same thing over and over and over again. He yanks players out of they make one mistake but doesn't really tell them what their doing wrong. Even the asst doesn't know what to tell the player except to coach them up. This current head coach says he won't be there but 1 or 2 more years. The asst wants the job when he leaves but the coach seems unapproachable to the asst also. The asst says he can see in the athletic director he is frustrated to. He used to be the coach... the team wasn't great but the players liked him and he had 15 on the team. The current coach only has 8 due to players quitting because they don't even get playing time even in blowouts.
So what should the asst do? How can the asst approach the coach without stepping on his toes? coach also is not receptive to his asst's ideas during the game and it has cost them a couple of victories and almost cost them another victory because he wont listen to any advice.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 14:24 

christiangator1315 wrote:
The asst says he can see in the athletic director he is frustrated to.
I'm not big on going over someone's head for obvious reasons, but it seems this is something the AD needs to handle. If your friend thought he could talk with the AD without that conversation getting back to the HC, I'd suggest that.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 20:33 

One of the most important things you have as an assistant coach hoping to work your way up is loyalty.

The situation sounds frustrating. The AD already sees it.

As an assistant, do not be the person to go over your coaches head. It is a reputation you do not want to have. That word gets around and can poison the perception of you.

The best case scenario is you inform the AD of a situation he already is aware exists. And the conversation does not get to the head coach.

Worst case below that is the conversation does get to the HC. The conversation could put the AD off of you as a potential candidate.

I do not think you win in this. Leave it to the administration to handle, and continue to fulfill your professional responsibilities as best as you can.