All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 04:19 

With our last game coming up shortly for our JV boys basketball team, I thought I would ask how other coaches wrap up their season. What do you do in terms of:

1. Player evaluations - do you use them? If you do, do you try to limit your evaluations to 2 or 3 areas of strength and weaknesses?
2. Team bonding - do you do one last activity together? We have a banquet for the whole program but I'm considering one last TEAM activity. What do you do?
3. Handouts for off season workouts. Do you provide players with shooting workouts / routines for the off season? In Michigan we can only work with 4 players during the off season until summer. Many of the players I had this season I won't have next season so I'll be looking to work with my next batch of players. If this is something you have done have you found it to be worth the time?

If there is something else you do for end of season just go ahead and share.

Thanks

Coach K

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 15:06 

1 - never used a formal player eval

2 - banquet seems to be the tradition - going to a local professional game with cheap seats. we have something called Topgolf that is a pretty cool place to spend a few hours. Don't think this really matters as long as there's food and it's free.

3 - our hs has summer hs leagues. most of the players belong to club teams and do their own thing in the summer anyway. the summer leagues are only for the month of june and the club teams block this out.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 06:18 
Site Admin

1. I sometimes use evaluations. It depends on the season and situation.

Here the Rating Section of an eval I have used:

Evaluation / Rating of Performance
* Scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being highest and 1 being lowest).

Defense - 8
Ballhandling & Ball Security - 7
Rebounding - 6
Team Offense / Execution - 8
Scoring - 6
Aggressiveness - 7
Teamwork & Leadership - 8

Note: It’s very difficult to get a 10. Nobody on the team has a 9 or 10 in any category.

I then include season stats and VPS (player rating based on stats).

Finally I include my feedback, comments, and what I think they should work on to become a better players.

2. End of year events

At end of year sometimes we have team party, banquet, etc. We have gone bowling, played wiffle ball, games and spaghetit at our house, pop a shot, out to local place for games and pizza, etc.

3. Off Season Workouts

We do quite a bit. I try to find a way for our kids to improve in the off season. Every player has different commitment level, motivation level, and time availability. So I try to cater to what is realistic for them. Sometimes we have weekly clinics. Sometimes I give them workouts for at home. In most cases I do both. And I use this app to give players workouts and customize it to make it realistic. For some I just have them do left hand dribbling drills for 10 minutes every Mon, Wed, and Fri in their basement. Other form shooting every day. Others I have do full workouts 5 days a week.
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=33&cat=Software+%2F+Apps