All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 07:34 

I'm sure this is nothing new, but it's certainly something new to me since I'm a very unseasoned assistant coach at the Varsity level.

We have many kids in our program, kids that are all quality athletes, good ball players and most importantly - great kids! From time to time, kids just decide to quit playing for various reasons, lack of interest, lack of success, financial and other. The one i'm struggling with is the kid that is entering his/her senior year and makes a decision to sit in the stands. This occurred last year and I'm concerned we will have another one this year. I'm wondering what others have done in similar situations? Have you reached out to the athletes, the parents or both? Have you encouraged them to just finish?

Basketball is so much more than the on-court successes and I just feel that allowing the athlete to step aside without completing is less than ideal. This particular kid has been playing since they were in the 4th grade and has competed every year.

Any thoughts on engaging the athlete or is this just one of those situations where it's best to just back away because of the unknowns of each situation?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 10:57 
Site Admin

It might not hurt to talk to the athlete. How you approach him/her all depends on your relationship with them... they may or may not open up to you. Maybe ask a few questions starting off topic.

I personally do not try to talk kids into going out for sports. Although I'm sure there could be a situation where I might want to... if I know the kid is sitting out for the wrong reasons.

I just always encourage kids to follow their passions and not be afraid to fail or make mistakes. That is the culture we want. If they are passionate about building robots, then do that. If they love soccer, then play and/or coach soccer. Maybe this is the right move for the player because they don't love basketball and have passions in other areas. But if he/she really enjoys playing.... then yea I would recommend they keep playing -- but it's obviously up to them.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 12:03 

I'm definitely in the camp of trying to engage this player. Agree with Jeff; a lot will depend upon your relationship with this player and how comfortable you feel talking with them. I don't see the harm in at least seeing if this player will open a dialogue with you.