All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 08:40 

Greetings - I'm an assistant Coach for a Varsity Girls Basketball team and one challenge I'm having is trying to approach the area of Team Building and cohesiveness within the group. Does anyone have suggestions to help build a strong knit team. I'm also trying to come up with some unique/fun NON-basketball activities to help build a bond. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 13:07 

Funny, we were just talking about this the other day. Some type of volunteer work is a great way to give back to the community and help the team bond. It's not going to be as fun as going to a local college basketball game together, but that's another way to bond.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 13:17 

Thanks Rob - that one came to mind as well on our end. Get the kids out in the community as well as provides a service. Has anyone tried the 1v1 teammate interview and if so, what were the results? For those not familiar, it's where each player would be allowed to interview the other in a closed door environment using pre-screened & fun or interesting questions. I like the idea as it would allow kids to maybe learn some things about each other they may not necessarily take the time to.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 16:34 

Funny you should mention the 1 v 1 interviews.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/two-easy-teambuilding-activities-to-develop-team-chemistry.html

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 19:57 

Yes - exactly!

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 05:31 
Site Admin

Just some random ideas that might be helpful...

- Emphasize teamwork. Make "teamwork" the number one thing you emphasize. I find girls tend to value the relationship aspects of basketball more than being the best player or scoring the most points (like many boys). If you make everything you do about teamwork, lots of lessons can be learned and you'd hope they would become tight knit group.

- Set measurable "team" goals and focus on working together to accomplish those goals. Amazing how something as simple as setting clear and measurable goals will bring people together.

- Define teamwork, give handouts about how to be a great teammate, create a list of values that make for great teamwork (effort, communication, discipline, honesty, be an energy giver, help others, kindness, etc).

- Create poster/flyer with the things you want to emphasize.

- Encourage high fives and fist bumps. Beginning of practice, end up practice, between drills, during games, etc. Simple but develops a bond and the power of touch has positive effects.

- Encourage huddles in practice and games.
http://lifebeyondsport.com/spot-winning-team-culture/

- Every Thursday have team dinner in cafeteria. Ask parents to bring food. Can be potluck style or rotate a parent in charge. I have seen teams do this... home cooked meal once a week and everyone eats together after practice.

- Go bowling, to a movie, to a local game (WNBA, college, or another sport)

- Read this book:
http://maureenmonte.com

- Ask players questions before practice, maybe during warm up. Dedicate 5-10 minutes a day for chatting and getting to know each other (pasting the questions below).

You can of course search for team building activities online - you can find them everywhere searching with google. And those are good things to do. But I thinking coaching is what you emphasize and the culture you help create.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but ideas that come to mind for creating a close knit group. Hope it helps!

Questions -Get to know your teammates...

If you had a billion dollars, how would you spend it?
What Would You Do If You Were The President Of Your Own Country?
If You Could Live In A Book, TV Show Or Movie, What Would It Be?
What Animal Best Represents You And Why?
If you could be anyone in the world, who would you be and why?
If You Could Take Only Three Items With You To A Deserted Island, What Would They Be?
If You Could Master One Skill You Don’t Have Right Now, What Would It Be?
What Would Be Your “Perfect” Day?
If You Could Have One Superpower, What Would It Be And How Would You Use It?
What Makes You Happiest?
How Would Your Best Friends Describe You?
What Motivates You To Succeed?
What talent do you have outside of sports?
Tell us about each house/place you have lived in since birth.
What Teacher Inspired You The Most? How Did They?
What’s Your Favorite Holiday And Why?
What Makes You Cry?
If You Were On Death Row, What Would Your Final Meal Be?
What’s Your Fondest Childhood Memory?
What’s The Craziest Thing You’ve Ever Done?
If Your House Was Burning And You Could Only Save One Item, What Would It Be And Why?
What Are You Most Grateful For?
Who is the disciplinarian in your family?
Tell me about one of the toughest goals that you wanted to achieve. Tell me about an obstacle you encountered along the way. What was the outcome? (motivation: internal or external)
What are your favorities subjects in school?
What are your least favorite subjects in school?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 06:01 

Great stuff - love the teamwork focus and something as simple as focusing on it may be all that is needed. Sometimes we overthink things and in reality, the relationships between kids and coaches is really what should be the focus.

Thanks for your thoughtful input!