All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 11:48 

How long do you spend on breakdown drills do you teach reading defender?How long do you stay with same drills?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 15:02 
Site Admin

Wow. Those are tough questions! I think every answer is "it depends". I think those decisions are why coaches are needed.

I go way back to establishing my philosophy and goals for the season. What do I want my players to get out of this experience?

Sometimes I spend very little time teaching players to read defenses. That can be because of the personalities of the kids (think too much, etc) or because I know this group needs 90% of our time on dribbling, passing, pivoting, and shooting (skills non stop).

Then how is the offense doing? Is it effective? Are you getting good shots? Are you getting ball movement, player movement, and getting the ball inside?

Sometimes if it ain't broke you don't fix it. And we often just "play" first. Then we see where and what we might want to work on to help these kids improve.

I personally don't spend a lot of time forcing players to read defenders and sticking with a drill for a long time. Otherwise it takes way too much time from other things. I've had seasons where I have 4 kids that are just lost -- all I want them to do is basket cut every time they fill or pass. That's it. And the other players on the team can screen and make very high level reads of the defenders. Those high IQ players just know that "Jimmy" will always cut and they play around that action.

Generally we allocate 5-15 minutes each practice where kids are reading defenders and practicing skills at the same time and we move on. Sometimes it's less than that and other times it's more. It's just depends.

We also try to let players figure out things on their own (self discover) as much as we can through game based learning. But with that said, we certainly use some breakdown drills. Every coach has their own tools and drills they feel comfortable with.

Not sure if that helps you any? This is a tough question. :)