All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 10:02 

Hey coach,

Thank you for the advice from my last post, however I am running into another situation. What can I do to get my team to execute a play after the huddle. Whenever I give them a play that we have practiced and have shown them on the play board, it's like I never said anything, they go out and forget instantly what I have told them, which results in confussion on the team. What can I do to remedy this situation?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 17:24 

I bet every coach has this problem from time to time... especially IF the game is on the line. All you can do is to continue to practice it over and over... make the call from the sidelines in practice like you might do in a game.

Run situations at the end of practice and have them run a play that you have practiced.. It should help simulate the pressure of a game.

By the way, don't give them too much info in a time out... the are sure to forget most of it... maybe 1 thing for offense and defense...

Ken

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 11:26 

I feel your pain coach...

Sometimes 30 or 60 seconds is just not enough time to get across your point especially with youth players. With so many distractions going on. make sure the kids are looking at you and your clipboard when you are talking. Some kids will "space-out" or look for their parents or friends in the bleachers.
I understand it's hard to do but talk in a slow clear voice. Believe me...in a close game I tend to talk fast and frantic so try your best to remain calm as you speak.
They will probably only remember the last thing that you stressed so you can start your time-out with, "good hustle" "we need to box-out" but end the timeout reminding of whatever play you want run.
If you have time, ask certain players who have key roles in this play to repeat what they have to do, look for or where their place on the floor is.
If they repeat what you stressed, the more likely they will remember.

Coach A

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 22:05 

I coach professional women in Hong Kong, try doing all that through an interpreter. I never have enough time. However, one tip is this the players that are presently on the floor playing during the time out sit on the bench and the other players must stand behind me in a position where they can hear what i am saying. that way there are no distractions such as looking in the stands for mom or dad. finally, when a time out is called, tell them they must hustle to get to the bench as time is short. good luck

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 09:23 

I would like to thank all the coaches that responded to my post, your comments and advise are invaluable to me. I would also like to thank the Haffner team for putting this web site together it is also an invaluable tool, thank you very much and I will be talking to you in the future.