All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 13:08 

What tactics and techniques could I put a focus on with my team to promote playing a more physical brand of basketball? We play top level AAU and as I'm sure you are aware, the officials really let us play. I would appreciate drills if any are available.

Thank you

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2015, 14:14 

Make it harder in practice than it will be in a game. If you're yelling at the refs during a game because of contact, your kids will think they were justified in not making the basket or losing the ball.

Copied from another thread with someone asking a similar question, so I cut/pasted my answer to them here. They had a girls team.

We tell our players two things:
1) expect contact
2) don't look for the officials to rescue you, they won't

Couple of practical things we do to help that so they get used to contact:
Layups with coaches and apply contact. Line of girls under the basket with a girl dribbling towards elbow around a chair to next elbow that also has a chair, and then coming back for a lay-up. Start with one coach near low block; he/she slaps arm as they go up or someone applies some type of contact. Lighter contact at first, increase as they go along in the drill.

Points of emphasis:
1) dribble low around chairs on elbows, shoulder lower than top of chair
2) expect contact
3) look up
4) make the lay-up - they are there to make the basket.

You can add a second coach near free throw line with a blocking pad to add a bit more physicality to the drill. We do this drill every practice.

3 stops. One on D just above FT line, with line of girls facing FT line. Player on D shoves ball to first girl in line and play begins. Start with only 3 dribbles allowed (we move to 2 dribbles eventually), D has to get a stop which means keep them away from basket any way they can. We emphasize no one in paint. If D forces bad shot and gets the rebound, that’s one stop. 3 stops by one player and the rest have a consequence.

Right back up. 3 girls of similar height facing basket just behind low blocks. They are tight next to each other. Coach behind shoots a shot and misses. They play cutthroat. You want them going right back up with the ball, other two can double-team and do whatever it takes to stop the one player from shooting (within reason – safety). If ball bounces out of paint, player with ball gets one dribble. Emphasize putting it right back up, let some fouls slide here. You want them getting used to receiving and giving some contact.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 18:55 

Hi Coach Rob,

I'm going to utilize the chair drill with blocking pad(s) and "Right Back Up." Ultimately I need to do a better job recruiting players with high revving motors that embrace the physicality of the game. If a player is soft, it's so hard, if not impossible to change their style.

Thank you

B

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 09:51 

How old are the kids on your team? The reason I ask is that some kids "get" the physical thing later than others. You're correct that it helps a ton if a kid already seems to be comfortable playing more physical as teaching it is difficult at the younger levels.

Honestly, the best teacher for my team was just getting our butts kicked over and over. When we entered the higher competitive leagues, I remember distinctly thinking the refs were terrible because they allowed so many "fouls".

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 13:00 

They are 2018's. This weekend I am not going to get on the officials for allowing overly physical play, but rather communicate with my kids that they're letting us play, just the way we like it!

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 15:20 

I think that's a good strategy, to a point. You already know this, but if I felt the safety of my players was in jeopardy, I'd definitely get with the officials on the side and have them "watch #32 who keeps shoving in the back".

Seriously though, the more we played against teams that seemed more aggressive, the better we became. The more I coached the kids and didn't give them an out on the court other than to play stronger, the better we became. There's just no real substitute for feeling that pressure and experiencing better teams.

The kids can get discouraged, but a few "this is making you better" speeches in the beginning, paid off in the end.

GL on your next game.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 16:18 

After a tough loss I like to ask players this question; are you frustrated or determined? We are looking for determined players.

Thanks