All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 04:36 

What are some of the best coaching certification programs for high school and middle school volunteer coaches ?

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 06:34 

To my knowledge there isn't much out there for certification. I briefly looked over the iHoops cert a few years ago, it looked ok. Not sure if they have updated since. I looked at one other, don't remember the name, and I wasn't impressed.

This will sound strange, but the best certification I have seen for basketball was the e-license for soccer coaches. I took this course in Iowa and it was excellent. It of course only talked about soccer, but it taught you "how to coach". Taught you the stages of learning, how to ask questions, how to teach players, freeze them, and a bunch of good coaching tools.

You also had to get on the field and do the drills and run your own practice sessions. Our instructor was excellent. Hands on learning was great. Completely changes your perspective. Too bad we don't have the equivalent in basketball. It was a 20 hour 3 day weekend course.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 09:56 

If you're looking to coach at the high school level down the road, some schools require certain certifications, my state required several.

https://nfhslearn.com/home/coaching_requirement

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 18:54 

The USA Basketball coaching certification program is gaining steam. I'm toying with the idea of getting that certification this summer. It's $35 renewable yearly and gets you access to online clinic resources from what I've read.

Additionally, when I started coaching middle school, I had to take a course and get my certification to coach through Human Kinetics.

Just some additional options for you to look into.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 23:59 

When I coached High School basketball in Ohio, I was surprised to find out that there was no certification required. In fact, there did not seem to be any USA certification programs operating. I had certification from Canada and am now the highest level Instructor from that program. The Canadian program is very good and if you can get it I would highly recommend it. As you are probably aware, the last two number one picks were from Canada and there are now 18 Canadian players in the NBA thats 18 more than were there 20 years ago. Hope this helps. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015, 16:22 

I recently got the USA basketball coaching license. I thought it was pretty good. A lot of video watching and some videos I had to take quizzes afterword. They were not difficult. It did take quite a bit of time. Some of the topics it covered were safe sport for athletes, dealing with parents, and talked about conducting tryouts. It did take quite a bit of time.

When I finished they sent me a card with my picture on it and they gave me their USA youth basketball development handbook.

I finished in April but by license is only good until August. Then I will have to redo it.

I also have a certification from American Sport Education Program. I had to take coaching principles, sport first aid, coaching basketball technical and tactical skills which all led to Illinois High School State Test and certification.

I have also done the NFHS certifications. I have both Accredited Interscholastic Coach and National Interscholastic coach certification. NFHS took the most time and covered the most amount of material.

All of the certifications cover just about the same material just some go into more detail than others.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 09:59 
Site Admin

While I haven't taken any coaching certification courses for awhile, I can attest to what Coach Mac said.

From speaking to some Canadian coaches, you can tell that they have a very good certification system. The best English-speaking one that I have seen.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 21:57 

Thank you Joe, I also think it is a great certification course.
Last week, I ran a clinic wit 24, 3, 4, 5 year olds and I must say it was a huge success. Not because I was that great, but the suggestions offered by Joe, Brian, Coach Rob and others were wonderful. The more I access this sight, the more impressed I become. Coaches, I cant think you enough, once I figure out how to put photos on my computer, I will send them to you all. Once again, many many thanks...Coach Mac