All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 09:01 

I also am an Iowa native as I grew up in Cedar Rapids. I appreciate this site. It has helped me a lot. I grew up playing basketball and around the game but I did not play in high school and I only got into coaching a few years ago (when I was 24). I started small by coaching 6th grade basketball in Cedar Rapids. I live in Dallas now and have coached for 3 seasons. This past season I coached a freshman boys team. I continued to learn about the game of basketball, particularly from the varsity coach at the school. I want to be a varsity coach someday, as I also plan to teach at a Christian school. This is my question for you:

What things should I be doing now to prepare myself to be a Varsity level coach in the future?

My question is very broad but I appreciate any advice you have to offer. I am passionate about the game of basketball and I am eager to become a better coach than I was last year.

Thank you for your time,
Jordan

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 11:55 
Site Admin

The most important thing is to get plenty of experience. You learn by "doing". Part of that experience should be coaching or assisting at the high school level.

In addition you should watch coaching DVDs, read books, attend other coaches practices, go to clinics, and so on. Learn from others.

If you want advice on specific resources or there are certain topics you want to learn about, let us know and we can try to point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015, 10:21 

Tell the JV & Varsity coaches you want to learn more about coaching. Ask if you can sit with them during their games and practices.