All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 14:59 

When my teams scrimmage, I change my lineups to see who plays best together (team chemistry) and see how
Many lineups I can use. Why do a lot of coaches play the same set of
Players and play them like its a game that counts. I just want to know what you think and do during scrimmages.
Thanks, Coach Johnson

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 15:44 

It depends upon what time of year the scrimmages are taking place. If it's the beginning of a season, I'd definitely be using part of the scrimmage to see which players seem to gel together. Most of the scrimmages I've participated in are used to work on different aspects of your team and get the kinks out. I ask the other coaches to run a full court press, half court press, zone defenses, man to man and they do the same. If I'm running a certain offense and it isn't working, we stop and do it again, the other coach has that same ability. We stop the scrimmage and talk about things with our players. In my opinion, those are the best scrimmages. Scrimmages are also a great time to get more playing time for more developing players.

I've also participated in scrimmages that were a bit more formal. No refs, but coaches want to use the opportunity to expose their weaknesses. You might be running into coaches that already know who works together best and are just trying to see what their team looks like under game-like conditions.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 16:26 

Your definitely right Coach Rob, I agree with developing players that don't get a lot of minutes in actually games due to more polish players. Also running team plays with the whole team and not just with your starters. You never know who can do what in a game if you don't give them a opportunity to play different positions on the floor. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!
Coach Johnson