All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 13:03 

So up here in SE Alaska, I have encountered a most interesting game schedule.

Due to most of our schools being on islands and to limit students time away, we play a lot of games back to back with the same team.

So we might play team A on Tues/Wed, travel Thurs, and then play team B on Fri/Sat and team C on Sun/Mon.

Most weeks we have a min of three to four games.

I am looking for recommendations about recovery and how to manage practices during the season.

Thanks,

Hydaburg City School District

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 14:44 

BigTechDaddy wrote:
Due to most of our schools being on islands and to limit students time away, we play a lot of games back to back with the same team.

So we might play team A on Tues/Wed, travel Thurs, and then play team B on Fri/Sat and team C on Sun/Mon.

Most weeks we have a min of three to four games.

This sounds like a tough schedulew but you will have to deal with it. First of all, you will have to make sure that you have your kids in great shape..... then have a good rotation so rhey just dont fall apart.

During holiday tournerys here we play anywhere from 3-4 games in a week and thats where you have to use a lot of players. As for practices..... dont' wear their legs out on the practice floor. Do a lot of walk thru type of practices when you get the time...... They are going to need recovery time IF they are going to be able to play their best game.

You can always do dome creatice subbing..... sub out maybe 3 players with 3 minutes left in a qtr..... (the time between gives you 1-2 minutes) and maybe take 1-2 more minutes and sub them back in. Something along those lines....Good luck.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 18:58 

My first thought is to try and reach out to an experienced coach in that league who's dealt with that schedule over the years. No sense in re-inventing the wheel if someone's already figured out some ways to navigate through it. Might seem awkward, but I'm guessing most seasoned coaches would be happy to help you.

It's almost like you're playing in a tournament type situation for your season. Makes me wonder if the seasoned coaches have already been practicing ahead of time and view the season as game time with little time to practice. I know when we were in tournament mode, you're basically tweaking things from games and playing.

Again, it might help to hear from a few coaches in the league so you have a reference point.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 11:44 

Great tip on reaching out to other coaches.

Another interesting schedule quirk is I have 14 days from the first practice to the first game. I am not sure if that is standard procedure around the rest of the states, but it seems to be up here.

I am now debating two a days for the first week of practice. I probably won't because I think this may harm their classroom performance for that week.

My gut tells me to focus on our man to man defense and our transition game. While working on man to man, I'll sprinkle in some motion concepts.

I get the distinct feeling that this is going to be one wild ride.

Hydaburg City School District

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 17:52 

We had two weeks before our first game....we ran doubles twice. Both on Saturdays.

You will have make somee good practice plans so you don't forget anything. I learned early to work on our press offene\se, tthe lass thing I wanted was to get beat by some Micke Mouse press. We worked on that eveer day forr 10 minutes, One day vs m2 and one day vs zones.

Your first year will be a learning curve in that league. I kept a notebook for every team we played, that way I had a reference to go back too.

The first year is always the harrdest.... Mine was a litttle easier because I had them as sophomores and they knew what to expect from me and vice versa.... good luck.