All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 11:45 

I have played team basketball my whole life, AAU and HS basketball. I have always been apart of well established teams with a strong culture already in place.

I am part of a new high school (a charter), so this basically means that there is no sports culture in place at these schools. The teams this last year (before i arrived) were disorganized and players lacked even basic skills and basketball knowledge.

This is my first time coaching high school basketball. I have coached rec league teams, but this is a totally different animal. I have been given the green light to create a "basketball club" in the offseason starting this fall. During this "club" I plan on to really hit the basics at this point: dribbling, passing, defensive stance, shooting form. I also want to get them in shape early during this time as well.

How should i go about really creating a strong culture of team work and establishing the sports teams here?
What should i do first with the team?

Any kind of advice, tips, first practice ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am also a full time teacher at school as well, not just a full time coach.

THANKS in advance.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 12:57 
Site Admin

Getting them to buy in is big. There are lots of motivation ideas here to help and show your players that you care about them:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/mental/motivate-players.html

I think just by doing thing the right way, being a good leader, and showing the players how much you care about them, will take it a long way.

Communicate with them. Find out what motivates them. Some kids just love being part of something. A sense of belong and teamwork can be a powerful thing in building that desire for players to want to participate and put a lot into it.

If you can help your team improve and celebrate those tangible improvements, that will generate excitement. Then start getting involved with the younger players and start developing a feeder system.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 13:14 

Congratulations on your first high school job.... while it is going to be hard.... you are going to love this gig. Get to know all the staff members, secretraries, custodians etc. They can really help you if you reach out to them and let them know that you are willing to work with them

Great ideas Jeff.

You were part of a good program... look back and think about all the things that you liked and made the program a good one. Nothing wrong with using other programs ideas. Pick and choose what you liked and drop the stuff that you felt wasn't good. Build a program that you can be proud of.

Get yourself organized first... so your program is the same from bottom to the top. Work on fundamentals now, success comes from being fundanentally sound.

Don't worry about getting them in shape right now, do that with your drills. Keep them moving and and your segmens short. We used to work on either defensive drill or offensive stuff and then we would do some shooting,.... FTs or perimeter shots.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Good luck

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 08:48 

Thanks guys!! Very helpful

Could you help me with how you would go about organizing and preparing for practices for a day or week?
I am a super organized person so i would love to know how you guys organize your practices for the day and/or week.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 09:23 

For starters - Here is the practice plan that I used.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/files/Practice_Planner.pdf I saved every practice plan that I wrote and once the season started, I kept practice plans, scouting reports and any post practice or games. ( computer froze )

I will continure on another post.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 13:37 
Site Admin

I usually start with a master practice plan that lists my primary goals and philosophy. Then I list out all the things I want to teach. Once I have the complete list (which takes a while to build), I think work from that to start planning out practices. I often refer to the master practice plan during the season.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/coaching_philosophy.html
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/pre-season-tips.html

I'll paste part of my plan from last season here (this was for freshman and sophomores). This does not include the list of things specific things to get done like inbounds plays, press breaker, and specific fundamentals. You should do your own list before looking at mine. You can use mine just to help give you ideas of things you might have forgot. Here you go...

Goals

1. Make a positive impact by every day teaching and emphasizing teamwork, character, integrity, work ethic, confidence, positive thinking, and helping players learn to love sports and basketball (have fun).

2. Develop players so they can reach their maximize their potential and prepare them for varsity level basketball.

3. Play the right way

Players should stay busy almost the whole time, very little standing, and everyone have a ball in their hands as much as possible (1000 touch practices).

Put learning to play basketball ahead of learning my system.

After each practice:
Did we work hard?
Did we improve?

Strategy

1. Play really good defense - no lay ups, keep the ball as far from the basket as possible, pressure the ball, contest all shots, emphasize really early help, dictate and take away things they want to do.

2. No turnovers. Take care of the ball.

3. Get all the rebounds. Teach, emphasize, and get really good at offensive and defensive rebounding. Play as if every single shot is a miss. Have someone in weakside rebounding position on every shot.

4. Player Development! Spend lots of time and focus working on fundamental skills, team offense fundamentals, and learning how to play.

5. Do not foul

6. Special teams are important... free throws, inbounds plays, defending inbounds.

• Practice the following EVERY DAY: free throws, jump hooks, competitive lay ups coming from various angles, back up dribble, weak hand dribble under pressure, defensive foot coordination, change of direction dribble, form shooting, groove shooting, some type of competitive finishing drill, shooting,
• Practice the following at least EVERY OTHER DAY: competitive rebounding, competitive passing, shooting drill where you work your way back (start close and move back), jump stops, footwork, post moves, perimeter moves.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 13:38 

Like I said, I would save all plans and any other information about a team or coach in a notebook. That way I would have everything at my disposal.

Then I decided which offenses - defenses - special plays - Presses - and Press offense that I was going to use. This can change at any time IF you don't like how things are going.

Then, looking at the above items, write down the drills you will want to use for them and in what order you will introduce them.

My assistant and I woul sit down over the summer and make up the first week practice plans... this would include tryouts although in my case I knew who I was going to keep, I was looking for move ins or any kid that improved greatly over the summer. That was oine notebook.

By then we knew who we were going to play in the Thanksgiving tourney... then we sat down and discussed how we were going to play the first game and the second. We made the next weeks practice plan accordingly.

From that point on (after the tourney) we would make practice plans for the next opponent or next two.

There were times we adjusted the plans we had made because of the kids not getting or understanding something, you need to be flexible.

I hope this helps a little, if you have any other questions, please ask.