All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 16:27 

Our team played in a tourney this past weekend with some pretty intense club teams. Almost every single coach seemed to yell constant instructions on the court to their players. I'm not talking plays, it was more like, "Jump!", "Shoot!", "Rebound!", things the kids already know to do. I'd be lying if I said my team wasn't vulnerable to the same thing. Before you know it I'm yelling, my assistant is yelling, the kids on the bench are yelling instructions and the parents are chiming in with their two cents.

My philosophy is we've practiced during the week, gone over the game plan, so I'll tweak things during a timeout or half-time, but for the most part, let them play. However, that's easier said than done as a coach. Would like to hear how other coaches handle how much talking is done by the coach during a game.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 19:30 

I coached a varsity high school boys team.... I went to hand signals since it is hard for them to hear at times... thats a lot easier to call plays, defense, and what continuity offense we would run. Easier on my voice LOL

We ran an open post offense so the most you would hear from me was BALANCE when they got out of whack... defensively it was HELP LINE....Now I wasn't a Johnny Wooden by any stretch of the imagination... I was pretty animated - my own cheerleader.

Like IF they took a charge, NICE JOB, dove on loose balls... NICE HUSTLE.

I think that IF you start telling them when to shoot, rebound, jump or whatever, they would be spending more time looking at you than playing the game. You do have to be your own person though.... you cant be someone else, the kids will know thats phony right away. You can call a couple over during free throw situations, but don't try to play the game for them. JMO

You might want to have a team meeting with parents regarding shouting out instructions during games.. let tthe parents and players know that YOU are the only that will tell them what to do
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 07:15 
Site Admin

I have been to youth games watching some friends and the parents were constantly yelling commands to the kids. It was hard for me to not say something. But I couldn't think of anything nice to say to the parents so I kept my mouth shut. Some parents were really sarcastic yelling at their kids. Some were yelling instructions on where to go. Some where telling players to guard a different girl. There was usually at least two parents yelling something at any one time. It was contagious.

Kids are making multiple decisions every second the are on the court. Should I run, pass, set a screen, dribble, move my feet, rebound, cut, etc?? Adults can barely process what someone is yelling when they are in a game. I know I couldn't process anything when I was in the heat of the game. In a dead ball situation or maybe when we were resetting the offense, I might hear. But otherwise forget about it. Do these parents really think these kids are understanding or processing what they are saying? Not to mention, maybe the coach didn't want those players to switch or do what the parents were saying.

I kept thinking that if I were the coach all these parents would either shut their mouths, be banned from the stands, or can find another team. But I don't think the volunteer coach had the experience or confidence to take control of the situation.

My philosophy (Don Kelbick says the same thing) is that I will give you freedom on offense. As long as you take care of the ball and take mostly good shots. But if you want that freedom, have to give me 100% effort on defense.

So unless I'm calling out a play, I don't say much on offense. I let them play. I might get on them about not turning the ball over. But the probably don't hear me and I'm just yelling. Or I might yell about offensive rebounding effort. Who knows if they hear me.

On defense, I will yell at them about help defense. Sometimes I will yell the players name to get their attention (Johnny, be ready to help! See the ball!). I try not to call out their names to often so they don't get embarrassed.

So in games I don't say much other than... See man and ball! Get on help side! Pressure the ball!!! Get up on him!!! Stop the ball!!! And various defensive aspects we are emphasizing. I want them in great defensive position and giving everything they have.

I'm not sure it makes much sense to yell out command in offensive situations because I don't think kids can process what you are saying. And I don't want kids playing tight. Thinking too much on offensive can be counterproductive.

O yea, and like Coach Sar, I would try to let them know when they are doing a good job and cheer them on when they make great effort plays (dive on the floor, etc).

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 10:56 

Good advice guys. I'm pretty good about pointing out the positives during a game and try to minimize the temptation to micro manage everything out on the court. Tough gig sometimes when things start heating up on the court though. I've asked the kids how much they actually hear out on the court and they usually say not much. They'll hear a simple instruction from me during a dead ball, but other than that, they're pretty focused. I've watched games where parents yell their kid's name followed by instructions, only to have the kid turn and look up in the stands.

Probably a question for another thread, but how much do you guys talk to the refs during a game? I always introduce myself to the refs and chat a bit if I can before the game, same with the opposing coach. Seems to take the edge off.
My general comments during a game usually don't solicit a reply or the refs give me a standard answer I've heard a dozen times before (e.g., "I'm calling it on both teams"). Asking the ref to watch # 32 for pushing or traveling, etc., seems to be the best way to get a result.

How much and when do you talk with the refs during a game regarding their calls?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 13:01 

I think this has a lot to do with how well you know the refs. IF you know them well you can talk a lot to them but I found out that using humor works a lot better than RAGGING them about a MISSED CALL.

There were times when I would offer my glasses to a ref which usually got a laugh and a waving gesture like to stop it LOL Other times I might say something like " I guess I had a bad angle on that play. "

Make sure that you don't make them look bad in front of anybody and you should get along with them well. Having a little fun with them during games will get them to look forward to doing your games. Whining and complaining will get you just the opposite ... and making them look bad will get you a T!

Treat them with respect and you and your players will get the same in return.

On a lighter side I asked a ref If I could get a T for what I am thinking? He said of course not. Then I told him what I thought of that call....... he gave me a T and said, I lied. We still laugh about that today.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 13:03 
Site Admin

I can't imagine what Coach Sar says to the refs during games. Not sure we want to go there!

When working with younger kids, I barely talk to the refs. I tell parents and players that just expect to refs to be terrible (this is youth basketball and some of these guys don't even get paid). Just play the best to your ability and don't blame anyone else, like the refs. Before games I spend time running players through footwork drills and various skill drills. There is NOT enough time for practice with young kids. So we just practice before the games. I don't make small talk with refs, don't pay attention to the other team, and just give the other coach a cordial "hi" and then get to work with the players.

I did the same thing when coaching freshman at the beginning of the season. However as the season went on, their legs were tried, we practice every day during the week, and I took it easy on them. At that point, I talked more with the refs and opposing coaches.

I try to set a good example for the players and try not to tell or complain to the refs. Maybe at half time or if there is plenty of down time and nothing to teach the players, I might talk to the refs in the most mature way I can think of. Try to treat them the way I would want to be treated. Try to imagine you are a ref and imagine how you would want a coach to approach and talk with you.

JMO.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 13:06 
Site Admin

I guess he beat me to it. That's pretty funny. Maybe you should start a book on humorous things you can say to refs.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 13:12 

I can think of a few good ones.... ones can say here LOL

Before on game I was talking to the refs ( Inew al 3 well ) I asked them where I could get Christmas cards in Braille.... they asked me why.... told them that I wanted to send some cards to all the Refs. :-) They just shook their heads and laughed.

What was it that the one kid on here said to me..... " NOW I know where the "SAR" in SARcasm comes from "....
I thought that was pretty funny too.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 15:37 

Heh. Enjoy the stories. I see some of the same refs, but we play all over the place in a fairly large city, and the refs at our games usually ref competitive youth along with high school games. Most of them are pretty savvy when it comes to the rules.

Good reminder on not making the refs look bad in front of everyone. Sometimes when I feel they're not listening it's easy to throw out a "I guess they're letting us play out there, get physical guys!" The traveling, close calls on out-of-bounds, and incidental calls really don't bother me. What bothers me is when I see the other team getting physical to a point that someone can get hurt.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 16:50 

I guess that happens on all levels.... some coaches think they are playing in the NBA..... when I thought that things were getting out of control I would try to tell them that its up to them to control the game and keep the kids from getting hurt. I would that when they were on the sideline, again, not to embarass them.