All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 20:29 

I'm trying to decide on a press or presses to use for the high school team I am coaching. What I would like from the coaches who respond is an over view of how they choose a press. Why a 1-2-1-1 instead of a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1. Why a zone and not the run and jump? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? How do you match a press to your personnel or do you try to match the press to your opponent?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 11:21 

We ran two presses... one being m2m and IF you cant cover anybody it wont make any difference which press you run, be it m2m or a zone.

If we really wanted to get after people we ran a full court m2m press with no defender on the ball, he was our center fielder.... in both our zone and m2m press we always looked for a trap just over half court. Reasoning... we were never bigger than anyone so the element of surprise was on our size ( I hoped )

We ran a 1-2-2 zone press which you can see on this site...
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/122Press.html
Pretty self explanatory.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 18:27 

Coach Sar wrote:
We ran two presses... one being m2m and IF you cant cover anybody it wont make any difference which press you run, be it m2m or a zone.

If we really wanted to get after people we ran a full court m2m press with no defender on the ball, he was our center fielder.... in both our zone and m2m press we always looked for a trap just over half court. Reasoning... we were never bigger than anyone so the element of surprise was on our size ( I hoped )

We ran a 1-2-2 zone press which you can see on this site...
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/122Press.html
Pretty self explanatory.

Thanks Coach,
If I understand you correctly, it really doesn't matter what press I choose as long as my players play it well.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 19:41 

As long as they know YOU believe in it and teach it to them well... I would say yes. Every coach has his own favorite philosophy... but I do believe that somewhere along the line you are going to have to cover them m2m also.