All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2021, 13:01 

Hi, coach!

Our team have trouble with switching defense. All team in our league use this P&R Defense. (under 16’s)

Our team haven’t really strong and big 4 and 5 numbers player. We have problem with rebound. Only one player can stable play 1-on-1 without turnover ball, but often overexposes the ball with low assist.

On P&R, we rarely dribble in paint because with switching defense so hard to take ball in post player or dribble with finishing, because have trouble in play 1-on-1. The team is amateur, but everyone is very energized and wants to play basketball, learn rapidly.

But moments like this are very frustrating.

In general, the team scores 60% of the points in fast breaks, but if the opponent quickly returns home, we have big problems. Can you suggest something in this situation? Thanks.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 12:45 

Thanks for reaching out.
Any more, teams are starting more and more to switch screening actions and exchanges. For me as a coach, the first thing that I worked on with our team against switching defenses was the slip screen.

Maybe you are familiar with this and have tried it. But if you haven't, it basically consists of the player that is going to set a screen (away screen, ball screen etc) starts to make their screen like normal. When they get to within a 3-6 feet of the player they are going to set the screen on, they plant on their foot that is furtherest from the basket and dive straight to the hoop, calling for the ball. If the team is switching the screen the offense players likely has an open path to the hoop and can receive a pass for a layup.

TIp: It helps if there is not a post in the paint on the side the player is slipping the screen on. This keeps the lane more open for a backdoor pass and score to the player slipping the screen and diving to the basket.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

On a related note, we currently have Coach Ryan Schultz, who is a championship coach, preparing an article with tips and plays for beating teams that like to switch defensively. Hopefully that will be coming out in our newsletter soon.

Good Luck,

Mark Brase
Breakthrough Basketball

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 12:57 

Thank you, Mark!
I didn't try this screen last season, but I will definitely try it in the new season. Thank you for your help and your time..

I would also like to express my gratitude to your community for their help in various nuances and details in coaching.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 13:09 

I think slipping screens can be very effective. Let us know how it works for you!

Good Luck,

Mark Brase