All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 17:36 

Hey all,

I'm losing some players from my JV basketball team for a variety of reasons. We've been running a packline style of defense, but the problem is I'm going to be losing my taller players. Not to mention two of the players I'm losing are starters and a little bit quicker. My thought is that the packline might hurt us because teams will be able to easily post up against us and we'll get into foul trouble trying to defend it with a team consisting of roughly 7 players.

So I have this dilemma, I am going to have a short team, not terribly quick nor athletic, and our basketball IQ is developing (we are still working on moving during airtime of the pass. I'm trying to get them to react to the ball rather than watch it).

My initial thought is moving to a 2-2-1 style press (we've ran Haske's matchup press, but the players are not confident in the slides despite practicing elements of it every day since mid November. My thought is the 2-2-1 would give players more defined ideas of where to slide to). If that gets beat move into an aggressive trapping 2-3 zone.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 20:53 
Site Admin

Quote:
So I have this dilemma, I am going to have a short team, not terribly quick nor athletic, and our basketball IQ is developing (we are still working on moving during airtime of the pass. I'm trying to get them to react to the ball rather than watch it).

After reading that my thought is it does not matter what defense you run. You're going to struggle. My question is do you try to win 1 maybe 2 more games this year by getting creative with this group? Or get REALLY good at a system you can use long term and prepare kids for next year and the following?

If you go packline or any half court man defense, double team the post relentlessly. I have seen teams play 100% man to man against bigger teams with a lot of success -- they double the post from the weakside and they work very hard at practicing that almost every day so they are very good at the rotation. Few post players are good enough to make the opposite pass to the weakside.

When they doubled, the weakside player had to take away the middle and wall up to the post putting their chest on the outside shoulder. Do not let the post turn middle! Then other player makes sure they don't give up the baseline move. It worked pretty good and frustrated good post players.

My opinion is you decide what you want to run the next 1-5 years. And get REALLY good at that. Each year you will build on that defensive system and get better and better.

I just read the question again and realized it's a JV team. What does the varsity run? Personally I would do whatever the varsity runs or whatever the varsity coach plans to run next season.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 21:17 

Our varsity coach is in his first year here, so he is starting to get to know the kids. He is the style of coach that likes to vary things based on personnel. I think even he is struggling to figure out what he wants to do with this group (an off year this year). I'll have to touch base with him and see if he has any new ideas for next year.

Thanks for the quick response.