All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 09:08 

I have a specific question about a coverage responsibility in al marshals 2-3. hypothetically speaking lets say someone is running 4out with a hi post. lets say ball is in corner(hi post player is ball side) and the balls goes baseline. forward and center trap ball baseline. if hi post is dropping down towards hoop whose responsibility would he be? opposite forward? Weak side guard who was at hi post when ball went corner? Im drilling this during practice and the ball being trapped in short corner area and hi post dropping is a problem. also the diagonal or baseline kick pass out of that baseline drive is hurting us. Any thoughts. thanks.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 08:10 
Site Admin

I believe that you want your weakside guard rotating to take away the high post drop. And then your weakside forward stays weakside in a good position to cover any skip pass to the weakside.

This of course depends on how the offense is aligned. I'm assuming there in a 1-3-1 alignment.

I will try to double check for you that but I'm pretty sure that's how they defend in that situation.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 09:44 

thank you very much. I have two more questions from this topic. 1)if the ball is thrown out of short corner trap on a diagonal as the hi post is dropping and weak side guard is in the process of helping with said hi post drop, does the ball side guard switch sides and go to the person who received the diagonal skip?
2)if the ball is passed into short corner do the ball side forward and center trap or is that only on a dribble penetration baseline towards the short corner?
thanks

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 10:38 
Site Admin

Coach - Sorry. I missed the part that the offense is "4 out" in your first post. I asked Al Marshall and he gave a better answer (try to stop the baseline drive and avoid double team if at all possible):

"With a 4 out set up I am assuming it is a 2 guard and 2 forwards set I would very much try to play the forward straight up to prevent penetration, not shading to the baseline. If there is penetration and the center drops to help and the hi post dives to the the basket, we would have the weak side guard dive to take away the direct pass to the diving post. On the forward penetration the strong side guard adjusts to the elbow and is responsible for a pass to either offensive guard. If the pass is up and away to the opposite offensive guard the diving guard recovers opposite of where he started. Hope this is clear."

If you still have questions, let us know.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 10:44 

thanks for the reply. it will help