All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 11:48 

I would like to know how Al Marshall's 2-3 zone defense is comparable to a Match Up type zone defense like the one Kelbick has on his DVD? Does Coach Marshall have matchup principles or just straight 2-3 like Jim Boheim has at Syracuse. I have small players and we cant cover the whole court with high hands all the time and not as quick either so we are vulnerable to hi-lo offense and dribble drive type offense. What to do?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2016, 05:55 
Site Admin

Technically speaking, I think the Kelbick Match Up, Marshall 2-3, and a good man to mane defense would be very effective for your situation.

All those defenses are adaptable and very effective. I don't believe "what you do" is all that important. The important part is "how you do it". If you do a great job implements Marshall Zone, it will work!! Same goes for the other defenses.

I would say the Marshal Zone Defense is very different than Kelbick Match Up. Marshall uses specific slides to teach and has specific way to handle situations. Whether Kelbick is more up for interpretation for the players.

I think you'll learn a lot from all the DVDs and they will make you a better coach. But ultimately going with a defense you will be great it implementing is the way to go. That usually comes down to what you believe in and can be fully committed to.

If you have other questions et us know.