All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 11:10 

I really need something that will Break a half court press

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 11:02 

Part of the answer depends on what you are facing. Are you just getting straight man to man pressure? Are you getting an odd front zone trap (1-3-1 or 1-2-2), or are you seeing something else?

With most trapping defenses, you want to make sure you have several facets to your attack:

1). A potential receiver in the middle of the defense.
2). A diagonal pass opportunity across the defense.
3). A short pass on the same side.
4). An outlet behind to go with the ball when you get into trouble.

If you are just facing outstanding man to man pressure,
1). Beat the man off the dribble to the basket instead of trying to run the offense. This tends to open up the offense anyway.
2). Drill potential receivers that they must cut hard back door when being overplayed.

These are just some thoughts. Difficult to give more without specifics of what you are facing.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 13:46 

I'm guessing teams are running a 3-2 half court press. The middle player in the defense is trying to force your dribbler to a trapping zone on the side. The off ball D player is looking to steal a pass coming back cross court. The ball side player of the 2 in the 3-2 is cheating up looking to take away the pass down the sideline or in the middle. The pressure comes from the first layer, the steals come from the off ball players.

1) The best advice I can give on how to beat any press is learn how to run it in practice. Even if you don't use it, it shows your players what the other team is trying to do. Personally, I love the 3-2 (1-2-2) half court press, so if it were me, I'd put that in my arsenal.

2) If you're facing a 3-2 (1-2-2) press, obviously allowing the top player to force the dribbler to a side trapping zone is a big no no. The key to beating this press is getting past their point player by dribbling or passing. You can set a screen on the point player or bring two players up side by side so they have an outlet. Your dribblers have to explode through the gap when they see it and then it's all over but the crying. Have another player in the middle up by the half court circle. Take two other players down low so their 2 players in the 3-2 have to worry about them and would be taking a chance on cheating up to steal a pass.

GL!