All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2016, 18:12 

Hi Coaches,

I just had a question for you that stemmed from my practice last night. I am running the shell drill with my u16 boys and after practice I was having a discussion with another coach there about how to defend the one pass away when running a 4-on-4 shell drill.

I was of the belief that it was ok for this person to play up the line and a step or two towards the ball. Whereas the other belief was that by doing this it would create an easy backdoor opportunity for the offence, and the alternative was to play the person one pass away in a complete denial on their man.

Are both methods correct? Or would you advise and recommend one way over the other?

Thanks very much.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016, 09:54 
Site Admin

The only time I ever have a player tight (close) to their man when one pass away is when the ball is dead. In this case you can lock down because the ballhandler can't dribble drive into the lane.

Otherwise we are always off our man several steps and ready to help and seal seams. I do not want the ball getting driven into the lane or anywhere close to the basket. So ideally we seal seams.

You have to practice one pass away defense to get good any denying the back door, contesting passes, helping, etc.