All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 20:23 

Hi everyone!

I have seen more and more teams icing pick and roll, though it hasn't made it down to my level yet.

I was curious if that wouldn't be more of an incentive to use it, as it has not become prevalent and therefore would provide my team with a unique look that they haven't seen before.

First Question:

Which philosophy do you believe icing is a better philosophical fit with: on-the-line/up-the-line, or pack-line?

The denying the use of the screen seems to be a fit for the on-the-line/up-the-line philosophy. It keeps the ball to one side of the floor, and doesn't allow the offense an easy change of sides or to get the ball to the middle.

But the drop off of the center to deep help towards the basket leaves the pop screener open in the center court/top of the key and does permit an easier pass to the middle of the floor.

The pack line seems to work too, as it relies on ball pressure and the center keeps protection of the rim. But the stepping up and denial of the screen seems to give the lane a little more than some would be comfortable with.

Which philosophy do you think it is a more appropriate match with?

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 14:11 
Site Admin

I have not tried using ICE with high school or youth players. I'd be curious how it works for other coaches. I have found some screen and roll defensive techniques difficult to teach high school kids. Even the hedge can be tough and requires a lot of practice time.

ICE is interesting and seems pretty simple, but until you actually use it, you never know.

I would think ICE is better for on the line up the line style defense as it takes away the dribble to the middle. Against teams that I play, there are often all guards so it wouldn't work very good (wide open shooter for 3).

If you try it, let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 14:22 

I'll be working more man to man defense next year (where-ever I end up coaching) and I will try to use this method and give some feedback on successes and failures with it.

I need to pay special attention to (my opinion)
1. Drills
2. Time alotted
3. Verbiage used
4. Difficulties in execution.

I would say that ICE is specific for side pick and roll only.

I would never deny the use of the screen from the center of the floor.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 14:24 
Site Admin

Now that you mention it, since it's a situational technique, it might require too many reps for players to get good at recognizing the situation. College and NBA teams can get away with numerous techniques. At our levels there just isn;t much time. I usually just pick on technique and that's enough for them to remember. :)

But do let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 14:30 

Yes, Jeff,

That was my thought too, regarding it being a situational technique.

I know the pro's are so good that they don't just do floor specific defending of the pick and roll, but player specific too (they will treat a big-small pick and roll differently than a small-small, and also pay attention to the type of player the big is in terms of what they give up to him).

I think you could do it at the high school level, but you couldn't be player specific in terms of who was involved in the pick and roll.

Even then, you aren't going to deny the screen from the center of floor, so I think drilling two different techniques....there wouldn't be enough time at lower levels and the players can be so skittish about implementing them, that there's no guarantee they'd remember.

Probably getting too ahead of myself and way too complicated. :P

The risk that all coaches run.

The good ones keep it simple. So easy to see something that works and looks good and try to assimilate it.

I'll experiment with this and see what I get from it. But I will not make it an underpinning philosophy of what I do.

Brian Sass