All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 20:17 

Hi Everyone!

What is your philosophy of guarding the traditional type center who steps out away from the basket to handle the ball. I'm talking about the non-shooting threat center.

I've read two different philosophies:

1.) He is not a ball handler, he isn't a shooter. He is not a threat out there. So drop off of him and guard the lane.

2.) He is not a ball handler, he isn't a shooter. Get up on him and make him uncomfortable with the ball. Maybe he will turn it over or make a bad play.

I'm not totally sold on either theory, as they both offer good advantages, just it turns into a ball-pressure vs. lane protection argument. What do you believe is the proper way to handle it?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 06:28 
Site Admin

Ideally I think you adjust based on the team you're facing and your personnel. This also depends on the age level you are coaching. At the high school varsity level, if you have a great defensive shot blocker and the other team likes to drive and finish, I might not guard the center unless he's in the post.

However since I coach youth teams and 10th graders, I teach one way.... ball pressure always. This way it's a habit and we only have to worry about teaching one way to do things. If you have more than one way to guard the ball kids tend to forget and get mixed up in games. And since I never really have a true shot blocker, we all just pressure the ball and stay down in our stance (no going for fakes).

At the younger levels, I think all players should come out and defender so they can move their feet, develop foot coordination, and develop agility.

Those are some of the thoughts that come to mind.