All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 02:36 

I saw the Florida-Arkansas game last night and Florida turned that game around by switching between their regular M2M and two kinds of zone with the 1-3-1 proving extremely efficient (PG on the bottom).

I would like to see more variations of this zone as every coach teaches defenses differently. I know John Beilein used the 1-3-1 a lot at WVU, but not as much at Michigan anymore. Then again, his 1-3-1 brand is very specific as it focuses on funneling everybody towards the middle man, which in my opinion and for the players that I coach, exposes the weak side too much. Do you know of any high-major coaches that use the 1-3-1 fairly regularly? I am currently in Europe and can only watch games available through the ESPN Player, which is why I will not have access to anything beyond what they offer.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 12:27 

Coach here is my version of a 1-3-1 match up zone.... it worked well for us.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MatchupZone131.html

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 04:26 

Thanks a lot, Coach. Very elaborate and I will make sure to study your notes.

In addition, if you know about any high-major D1 teams that use the 1-3-1 a lot, I would be very interested in that as well.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 08:31 

I think that Michigan runs it at times... ?? Check this out. My feeling is that I didn't worry too much about what they did since I didn't have their talent..... but I used the philosophy and tweaked it to make it work for me. JMO

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/c/Basketball/Basketball-Defense-890.html?id=QDCeDDDPphHv