All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 09:27 

Will this defense work with a smaller team? Has anyone used it with success without a true "big"?

I am a varsity basketball coach in a very competitive league where I am usually out athleted and out manned each night. Our tallest player will be 6'2. We have 2 guards with lots of quickness and athleticism but the rest of the guys are average. We go about 7 or 8 deep.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 09:57 
Site Admin

If you have the DVD I'm pretty sure that Coach Marshall talks about using the defense with smaller teams in the Q&A section. I know he's had a number of teams using the zone without a "big". They just adapt to the teams strengths and sometime extend the zone when they are smaller and quicker.

Here's a link where he answers a question about slow footed players:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/defense/zone-slow-players.html

I think the big thing with his zone is he scouts and works at adapting the defense to take away the opponents strengths.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 10:05 

Jeff - thanks.

I was considering purchasing the DVD's but was wondering if it would be hard to use without a big. I appreciate the response...I should probably get that DVD ordered! I read the link regarding slow footed players and LOVED point #8 - although I can't "recruit" in HS, I can certainly try to develop better athletes!