All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 22:44 

How do you best take advantage of having a post that can protect the rim on defense? What techniques do you teach the player? How do schematically take advantage of having an "eraser" at the rim?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 11:08 

Can you give examples of what you're talking about? Sounds like you're saying you have a "big" that can block shots?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 12:07 

What level is this? Other than playing some type of zone... We played a 1-3-1 match up zone,.... our center played their center m2m... and unless he was a 3 point shooter, he stayed in the paint. ( we rotated around him )

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 13:46 

My team is Elite level 11th grade girls AAU and the player is a 6' 5" post. I don't teach her to go for blocks, but ask her to "wall up" and in turn she gets plenty of blocks, changed shots and stays in the game. We exclusively use a containment (pack line) and extended (on/up line) m2m defense. I have no plans of using zone this summer, but will definately zone my 6' 5" in front of the rim. I just wanted to know if there were any particular techniques or schemes I should emphasize with my player?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 16:08 

IF her player can shoot the 3 ball, then she will have to step out and cover her... other than that... you seem to have the right idea for her. Keep her in the paint... challenge shots, don't worry about blocks, they will come natually.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 19:01 

Thanks Coach!