All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 08:54 

what's everyone thoughts on emphasizing takin charges? I've always done this, but lately I'm very frustrated by seeing my players stand in and sacrifice their bodies only to get called for a block and send an out of control offensive player to the foul line. I just wonder if it's worth the time and investment for little return?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 10:00 
Site Admin

That's a really good question. There are some things that just aren't worth the time required to practice based on what you get out of it.

For charges, I think that if you teach them to do it properly and commit to it, the work will pay off. Maybe not as much when they are young and refs aren't as good, but when they get older.

As long as you teach them fundamentals, I really don't think you can go wrong.

Have the guys bend their knees a little to shorten the distance they have to fall and tuck their chin so they don't hit their head. Just like anything, if you practice enough and emphasize enough, eventually they will get good at it.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 10:18 

I agree with Jeff.... and if you look at the other post - seems like a duplicate for some reason, you will see my thoughts and ideas.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 10:33 
Site Admin

Yeah. The last few years I have not emphasized it nearly as much at the youth and middle school level. Along with poor officiating, I also felt that the players would benefit more from working on other areas of their game versus working on charge drills at every practice.

I certainly taught it and would correct them during practices and games if I felt they should have taken a charge. However, we probably only practiced a charge drill once or twice throughout the season. And any coach that emphasizes charges will tell you that is not nearly enough to become good at it.

Basically, I wanted them to understand technique and situations in which they would do it. That way, if their high school coaches choose to emphasize it, they will understand it and still have a good foundation.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 10:39 

Typically we would run it once a week before our conference games.... it paid off for us many times... and once you get good at it... the word gets out.... X team is good at taking charges... one coach told me that our teams were the best at tacking charges that he had ever seen. We got 5 calls in one game ... it certainly turned that game around for us.

The other team has to KNOW that you are going to be there EVERY TIME they drive. Plant the seed.

We weren't good at everything but there were some things we did well.... play good D, take charges, loose balls and shoot.