All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 19:14 

I need some feedback or advice here please.
We run 3 out 2 in. We have 2 good posts in most of the time along with a strong wing and point guard. When the ball is on the perimeter and we pass, we screen away. The guard can drive if the lane is open or after the pass he can basket cut if there is no traffic. Wings/Guard can shoot if they have a good shot or drive if they can. We usually have a high/post low post combo, where the high will down screen if he can't get open, etc. They are always working together and switching. If the ball cannot get to the post or post cannot get in, we pass back out and reverse the ball looking for the short corner.

Here is my question - when the wing passes back on top, should he flare down and pop back up, or should he basket cut and continue on through, or down screen for a post player allowing the post to pop out. I usually tell them that if they can basket cut - if there is no traffic to do so or they can flare down and pop back up.

I'm trying to get them to read the defense and react to it without too many rules but I would like to hear what others are doing or recommend.

Thanks

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 07:36 

Getting them to read the defense is important when running your offense, regardless of what it is. You seem to have a good handle on what you are teaching and how you want them to play.

There were times when we ran 3 out where our players played every position... bigs on the perimeter and guards in the post.... IF you have a dominant post player I would leave him in the paint area... maybe utilize the short corner and the high post can dive to the basket.

As ot your question reagarding the wings.... ask yourself how much they can learn and execute well..... We liked to send our wings through or set a screen for the post on the opposite block and he could come ball side block, IF they switch, you have a mis match.... after hesistating for a count or 2 ( we wanted to give him a chance to post up )
he would continue to the wing.

I hope this helps and didn't confuse you.... IF you need clarification, let me know.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 15:58 
Site Admin

There definitely isn't a right or wrong way to do that. It's a motion offense and to an extent you need to give your players freedom to just play. You could set a flare screen in that situation. Or you could have the top guy screen away and then read the screen (if the defense cheats flare out for the skip, if they trail, curl to the basket, etc). I would just toy around with some things and see what works for you. Give the players a few tools and let them choose the screen or cut to use. If you can get all your players post and perimeter touches, that would be great for their development. You never know who will be post in high school and who will be guard. Kevin Garnett was a guard as a youth player. You just never know. And I would spend most of your time teaching fundamental skills versus getting players to learn "your" system. Good luck!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 10:47 

I ran the same offense but when i had them as seventh graders i started out simple like swing the ball side to side look it in to the post. Then i told them to cut if the passed the ball and cut away from the ball while still lopking it in to the post players. I taught them screen away or cut when they passed the ball in the perimeter, and the post would screen away for each other when the ball was reversed. Later if the wing could not get it into the post they reversed the ball to the top and the wings would down screen for the post and restart the motion of screen away and down screen. You can add the option of cutting. But it depends on your personel and how much basketball knowledge they have. Players make the plays. the better off fundamentally and skilled the better they can score. If your post are lost in screening away for each other leave it at that rule and practice that only. You build from the ground up. I dont want to teach my kids "street ball" i want them to learn how to swing the ball side to side and be patient for a good shot. if you swing the ball once you will have a good shot if you swing it twice a great shot. the defenses in the 8 th grade are better at sagging so adding screening away unclogs the help defense for better driving opportunties. There has to be either screening or cutting, i emphasize the no standing rule and spacing on a motion offense. If your standing you are wrong. But you have to build your offense early with your seventh grade ooach. Give simple rules and focus on fundamentals and defense. Your defense can score a lot of points. Playing a good half court man pressure defense teams will throw the ball away