All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 19:37 

We play a team that plays a very good match-up zone which is truly a match-up. It "technically" starts as a 2-3 but works much more like a switching m2m than a zone. I'd like to hear some ideas on attacking this and hear about some good quick hitters if you guys have any. We already do a lot of the conventional stuff such as overloading, odds vs evens, getting the ball to the middle, etc. but I'd like to hear some other ideas or unconventional stuff; specifically some ideas on attacking switching m2ms as that is what the defense actually plays more like. Not a pressure switching m2m though (like SOS) but more like a pack style m2m where they do a good job of staying below picks so that you can't pin them and roll. Thoughts?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 06:54 

A good hi - low attack is hard to guard for any defense .. m2m or match up...... We ran both and that was the one thing we worked hard on in practice to stop. Another thing you can do is to run an overload to one side of the floor and distort the zone.- anything that you can do to distort the zone will work in your favor.

I'm not sure what you are saying.... is it a m2m or a match up. IF you think its a m2m, run your man offense - sometimes doing that vs a match up can cause some problems for the D too. IF it is a switching m2m.... try to get a mismatch by screening smalls & bigs. You can try utilizing the short corner too.

One thing we did vs match ups was a triple stack on one side... one player went to the corner, one to the short corner and one stayed and tried to seal the post.

IF they are really packing it in, you might have to hit a few outside shots to loosen them up... its hard to go inside if the D is packed in the paint. Do you have any good perimeter shooters? IF they are always going behind picks/screens, you can run that for an out side shot..... screen and "pop" - that should help your players get open too.

When we played vs switching Ds we ran our Open Post Offense the entire game... set the offense further away from the basket and back screened a lot to get us some mismatches.... p[ost players trying to cover guards etc.
What level are you coaching?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 21:18 

I coach high school. The defense is a 2-3 matchup but the reason I say it's like a switching m2m is because they do such a good job matching up that a lot of traditional zone concepts are occasionally effective. Screening smalls vs. bigs won't really result in mismatches because it is technically a zone so the bigs are in and the smalls are out. And the screening I was referring to are picks away from the ball. They also switch ball picks but contest pick and pops well.

I really like the triple stack option in the corner, short corner, and post. Would you run a continuity out of this? Was a quick hitter? How did you get to this look and what were you doing with the other 2 players?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 07:05 

Have you tried the hi low vs this? It is really one of the toughest to defend - again... distorting the match up is the way to go too.

The triple stack is a set with no continuity.... there are 3 in the stack, the point guard with the ball and the other player is on the opposite wing. You are looking for the scoring opportunities from the stack side. Once the point guard passes the ball, he can cut and replace or screen away for the opposite wing. You can run this from both sides of the floor too.

I know what I would do if I faced this team.... IF and WHEN I got the lead I would go to my Open Post Offense and make them come out and play D. Our set up was above the f/t line extended but thats just me. I would try to beat them down the floor in transition before they get a chance to set their D.

Take a look at what they try to do and take that away from them, make them use Plan B. Take away their good shooters and let them try and beat you with their worst shooter.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 07:13 

One other thing that works vs a lot of defenses ( IF you have the right players ) penetrate the seam, make the next player in line commit to helping and kick it out or skip pass. Penetrate a seam and have some one cut in behind the ball? Similar to read and react? ( I'm not well versed in the offense )

Look at their weakest link and attack that. Just some other thoughts.