All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2011, 11:56 

I am coaching 7th grade boys. One thing I am considering in running a offense is the read and react. I have purchased the dvds and the zone concepts to it. The first layer is passing and cutting, and I feel it is simple to teach that at this level with the spots. I do have size so I am considering the 3 out 2 in or the 4 out 1 in. I don't want to spend too much time running plays. I know with this offense there are drills that develop them to cut and pass and make lay-ups for the first layer alone. I want to keep it simple. Teach them spacing with the spots, pass and cut no questions ask, and options to feed it to the post, and dribble drive if they can beat their man. I have two weeks to put in at least two of those layers, but the problem is two teams we face that week run a 2-3 zone and in the tournament a 1-3-1. the high post defender is moved down low on that 1-3-1 zone. So I feel if I teach them one set we can use that set to break the zones down with our principles. Give me your thoughts? We practice 80 min. a day for 3-4 days a week. 30-35 min. we spend on the fundamentals, 10 min on press off., 10 min on fastbreak, 10 min on offense, 10 min. on defense, and 10 min to add inbound plays or refresh on defense and offense. the unique thing about the read and react I have a shell offense already. We can go over our defense and offense at the same time. The passing and cutting will train the defense to jump to the ball. I will run a man defense, but a containment man -no denial on the one pass away. So jumping to the ball and position will be important, and blocking out and crashing the boards. Guarding the post I want my man to take away the top feed, and if caught- slide behind hands up, and the rest of the players choke the post to get the ball out of the post hands.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 17:16 

A little late on this .... I know someone who wants to teach this to his 7/8th grade team... talks about teaching it in layers... so I would think that if your kids have a good Bball IQ that would work out well. How did this work for you?

I like the way you are teaching the game by the way.