All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 07:45 

I would love to hear from the experienced coaches on what offense(s) sets you run against 2-3 zone. We run motion 1-3-1 and Overload, but I would really like to hear what others find the most effective offense to run in general - this is for 7 -8 grade boys.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 07:59 

So much of what you will try and do is based on your personnel. If you have 1 or more great shooters, especailly 3 point shooters, you'd attack a 2-3 with them in mind. If you have a great post player with good moves and an ability to score near the hoop, you'd focus on that player. So the answer is based within the skills of your team.

Having said that, these principles apply almost universally and assume you have players who can shoot and who can score in the post. If you do not (and I recoignize these are still youing players whose skills are developing), I would encourage you to forget about how to attack a 2-3 or any zone and wok relentelessly on the game's basic skills (Vision, Footwork and Ball Handling). Once these skills are sharp, anything is possible.

You kill a zone by stabbing it in the gut. That is, get the ball inside to the post player. The principle of appropriate SPACING is obvious. If the 3 or 4 perimeter players do not crowd the lane, they extend the D a bit and you can get it inside, good things will happen. If the d sluffs inside, the post player (who must keep the ball up, create space with pivots and SEE the court) can easily hit a man open for a jumper, quite often on the OPPOSITE SIDE from where the ball entered. (LOOK OPPOSITE was screamed at me for years and years- I am a 6'9" post player

The ball can also be entered into the post off the dribble, a tougher task. But if you have a strong kid who can handle pressure and doubles, the principle is the same. The interior zone d will favor the ball (DEFENSES REACT TO THE BALL). This oplayer should also look opposite or look to score given adequate spacing as he dribble penetrates.

In summary; SPACING, STAB the zone in the gut, look opposite and keep moving. Zones (and all defenses LOVE guys that stand around)

Jim McGannon

www.MyBasketballBasics.com

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 08:38 
Site Admin

Great stuff, Jim! It's funny that my best zone offenses always seem to have really good players.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 11:01 

I agree, great stuff Jim.... and yes Joe.... some of my best coaching jobs were when I had great shooters.

I will just add this which I got from a college coach.... " It isn't rocket science, put em where they aint. " Make sure your players are in passing lanes.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 05:58 

With our MS girls team we use the R&R. The drive and dish and the Pin&skip get points against the zones.
Against M2M the pass and cut has worked well.
I agree with Jim. We run the R&R 4 out and get a pass inside. That colapses most defenses and a pass back out gives some good shots.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 17:51 

We play against 2-3 zones in the majority of our games, and while I have found just getting the ball quickly down the floor and not giving the zone a chance to get settled the best way to score against it, it obviously does not solve the problem against a settled defense.
Quick ball reversals and getting the zone moving helps to unsettle it, also good use of the short corners can open up the free throw line or under the basket.
If you don't have a talented line-up or a shortage of quality bigs, I find the shuffle offense works quite well, especially after a reversal.
If the first cutter does their job, and your feeder and point can shoot, you will often find the 2nd cutter will get the ball at the free throw line with ease, there are plenty of options open to this player from there to do a lot of damage against the zone.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 11:07 

When I coach the 7th grade boys i use a 1-3-1 set. I utilize the short corner and make a permanent short corner man who goes side to side witht the ball movement. The short corner person is your best athlete who can handle and pass the ball and can shoot, or can be your second best athlete. We begin with the one man passing it to a wing if its the 2 man we look into the short corner man. When he receives the ball the 5 man which is the high post "rides the track," You know the spaces where you line up for the free throw and makes himself big as a receiver if its their the 4 man dumps it into the 5 man for usually a two or a foul call. the 5 man needs skills like receiving, and touch off the glass. if it isnt their we kick it back out and reverse the ball. usually the off gaurd when the zone is shifted can sneak at the elbow and the pass can be there for an open shot at the elbow. But without fundamentals you can not run anything. Do everything based on your personal and usually at this age if you teach them to follow their shot and get an offensive board they can rebound against this zone. Rebound the zone and you get more opportunties.