All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 17:26 

I have a question I'd appreciate some advice on. I coach a middle school community team (grades 8-9). We are not very tall but are quick, so my philosophy is to play an up-tempo game. On offence, we are trying to implement a motion offense 5-out or 4-1, with basic pass-cut-fill strategy (read and react is something I'm trying to implement) to spread the floor and create lanes for our players to drive to the basket. I'm not interested in running plays since I don't think this teaches the kids to play ball. Defense is not great, a lot of the kids aren't naturally aggressive, but its coming in spurts and should improve with time. A problem I am having is with a couple of our better players, one in particular. They are quite short and quick and great ball handlers so I have them bring the ball up and play point, but in games they won't pass the ball from the point to wing and cut to the basket to initiate the offense; almost all the time they first try to beat their man on-one-on, only pass if they have no other option. The one player in particular is very bad, he'll dance around at the top until he thinks he has a crack to get through, when he then runs into traffic he tries a lot of low percentage (hot dog type) finger rolls etc. My question is how to best deal with this situation; I know one option is obviously to move someone else into the point who will initiate the offense, but I'd like to get these players to understand the need to play team ball, and try to best prepare them to be able to play ball when they get to high school. Given their size, if they don't learn to run the game from the point instead of trying to score all them time, the probably won't see much playing time or will get killed trying to get through the bigger players they'll be running into in the key. Since this is a community team, I am very hesitant to sit players unless they are not trying hard. If this was a club or school team I know I would take the one player aside and talk to him about team play, then tell him that his floor time will be limited until he shows he can play team ball. I'm thinking that I should probably have a similar type discussion, acknowledge their individual skills, point out that team play is an area where they need to improve if they want to play at a higher level, and we need them to do this if the team is to be successful. Any suggestions or advice you have to help me address this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bernie

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 18:20 

Bernie - tough deal being that it is a community team. Would they buy into ONE ball reversal before anyone shoots? At least that way the kid has to make at least one pass.

Why don't you explain to him that a good point guard makes everyone better - they bring the ball up without turning it over, they initiate the offense by making good passes - they play shut down defense on the other point guard - they penetrate and kick it to another wide open player - that doesn't mean you cant take it to the hole when the opportunity presents itself.... but IF all you do is drive, you become very easy to defend. The Point Guard is the ULTIMATE TEAM PLAYER...... and the COACH on the floor.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 08:45 
Site Admin

The bench has been my biggest ally in promoting team basketball and getting attitudes straightened out. You don't have to sit them for a long time at the youth level, but calmly explain to them why they are sitting and what you expect out of them. When I put the player back in, I ask them "Are you ready to play hard? Are you ready to play team ball? Are you ready to keep playing through bad calls? Are you ready to play twice as hard when you make a mistake?"

During practices and games, I will also call out 5 passes, 8 passes, 12 passes for whatever I feel is necessary and that means, no outside shots until they reach that many passes. I do tell them that if there is an open lane, take the lay up. I also emphasize to make the easy pass.

If they don't get this, I ask them. What takes more out of you? Defense or Offense? They almost always tell me defense. So then I ask them, if defense takes more out of you, don't we want our opponent playing a lot of defense?

Good luck and I hope these tips help.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 08:55 

Those are great comments and suggestions Joe.

You have learned early that there is more to coaching Bball than rolling the ball out, or Xs and 0s. We have to be psychologists - great teachers and salesmen.....

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 19:49 

Thanks for the input. After we get back from the Christmas break I'll try some of your suggestions.