All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 13:08 

How do we get our girls to jump for rebounds? They are 5th and 6th graders.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 10:01 

I'm the head coach for the same level at my girl's school.
If you have agility ladders, you can use that to get them in a jumping frame of mind.
First I have them hop in each square till the end then jump for a rebound then jump for the put back.
After, I give them different ways to jump, one foot in, one out; skip a square, etc.
If you don't have ladders, you can use the marks of the free throw lane.

Also have them do garbage drill. This helps a lot cause we missed a ton of put backs two seasons ago.

Before a game, I require them to do a little cheer while jumping to get them pumped up.

And I yell. :O

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 13:56 

At your level, I would mostly concentrate on the proper positioning when rebounding. Players do not have to be great leapers to rebound. Teach your girls to make contact either with a forearm or with their butt and then go get the ball.
However, to help with jumping have your girls throw the ball against the backboard and rebound and practice keeping the ball high and then passing (outlet pass) to a perimeter player.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 07:16 
Site Admin

nhayden wrote:
Players do not have to be great leapers to rebound.

Isn't that the truth! Kevin Love and Joakim Noah are great examples.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 11:40 

When it comes to rebounding, youth girl players tend to wait for the ball to come to them instead of powering up with the legs and arms and meeting the ball in mid-air after a miss.
I have used a rope-ball before for younger teams, 4th and 5th grade girls. Basically it's a basketball with a rope attached that you throw into the hoop while you are holding the other end of the rope. With the ball dangling at a certain height and with the girls facing away from the ball, they quickly spin around and power up, grabbing the ball with both hands hard. If you can't buy one you can always make one like I did.
That drill, among many others will help. But it's your job to instill the value of rebounding. Stress the importance of it at every practice. Explain to your team the consequences of getting outrebounded in a game. Tell them it's not about height...rebounding is about DESIRE!!
Offer incentives- reward girls who grab the most rebounds in a game.
or...during a team scrimmage..make up the following rules:
1 point for every basket
2 points for every rebound
Coach keeps score
Losers run sprints

That'll motivate them!!!

Good Luck

Coach A