All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 09:43 

In our area we continually face 2-3 zones and 2-1- zones. Is there a basic, yet effective offense I can introduce to my high school boys team that I can use this year. I have been using a 1-3-1 set that has offered some minor success, but I believe I need more motion with the ball to create higher percentage scoring opportunities inside.
Thanks

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 10:07 

Coach,

We used the 1-3-1 offense vs those zones also. I had one college coach tell me that zone offenses are very simple.... " Put em where they aint! "

This is pretty much true.... put your players in the gaps.... exploit the short corner which can open the hi post player ducking down the lane... and get you some good looks from there. You can back pick the zone and skip pass, you can screen the top defenders, you can penetrate and get two defenders to cover you opening up the next player in line. There were times we ran our low post player on the baseline, this forces the D to turn to see him weakening their effectiveness.

There were times we passed to one wing and the point would cut thru to the opposite wing who cut to the point. You can overload one side and you can run a hi low post which can be very effective, this is tough to cover m2m or zone. If you have some good post players I would try to attack it that way and of course, the good ole zone buster... the three point shot. IF you can get the ball into the post and he is a threat... that forces the D to collapse on him which should open the wing shooters.

I might add this.... push the ball down the floor and see if you can get something BEFORE the zone gets set up.

These are some of the things we did. Hope I gave you some good ideas.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 16:26 

I have always taught basic tenants of offense, play inside out, go to open areas, spacing, etc. Those are basic building blocks of any offense.

Partly for that reason, I believe that all defenses are the same. All defenses have ball defense, strong side defense, post defense and support on the weak side. It doesn't matter if it is man to man, zone, 1-3-1, 2-3 or whatever. All defenses are the same and I run the same thing against all of them. I teach adjustments for the little nuances that different defenses show (such as where the openings are, what the match ups might be on the weak side, etc.) but by and large it it's the same thing and it contains the basic building block of an offense that I mentioned before.

I never believed in the odd front/even front deal. I think you are better off doing few things and getting good at it. Given different defenses just send your kids out in their most comfortable offense, if there is a defender in the way, just tell your player to move over to another space. It is just that simple. More important is the philosophy you impart to your team. That should carry over against any defense.

How old are the players. It they are under 14 or 15, why are they playing zone anyway.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 03:44 

One thing to keep in mind is that zones are for the most part very ball-oriented. Sending weakside cutters from behind through the lane can be very effective at exploiting this tendency. An easy way to do this is to have your post players work in tandem and run x-cuts.

If you start in a 1-3-1 the action begins with a pass to the wing on the side with the vacant low post .when the ball hits a wing, the high post player should dive down to the block and settle in for a long one count. The weakside low post player should follow with a diagonal cut through the lane towards the high post. The cutter should 'look for the hole' on the cut - i.e. he isn't cutting to one spot on the floor; he should read the defense and cut into the open space in the paint - sometimes that will mean he cuts to the hie high post; sometimes the mid post, sometimes a cut right into the middle of the lane.
Here is similar action:
Very simple action, but it can be very effective if your bigs consistently find the holes and make their cuts from behind the defense.
I usually like to have my guards focus on getting into the gaps with their dribble against a standard 2-3 - so our guards don't run a whole lot of motion. (Its easier to drive the gaps when the high post isn't always congested by a stationary post player - so, again, we place a heavy emphasis on keeping the post players in motion with the X-cuts.