All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 09:22 

Guys,

I'm looking for some ideas abot teaching passing the ball into a post player. Sounds simple but i am having all sorts of issues about teaching this to the point and wing players. We never seem to look inside with out me yelling at them. As i have a very tall and good 'Post up' team, it's starting to cause all sorts of frustration. Any ideas?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 10:35 

Hey Keith,

You have already heard from me, but there are some good coaches here.... lets see what Jeff, Joe, Don and Coach Mac have to say.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 16:14 

The first thing you have to realize is that whatever issues you have are not specific to you or your players. Don't think that your players are ignoring you. I have coached players from youth level to NBA level and I have found that all problems are the same. They just appear in different degrees based on ability level, but they are the same. Next time you watch an NBA game, notice how many times the coach has to remind his players to throw the ball into the post.

I tell you this so you can moderate your approach with your players.

I am a motion offense coach. I have always solved this problem with my motion rules. Try, every third pass has to touch a post, or no jumpshots until the post touches the ball (maybe even twice), or anything else that you can come up with that you are comfortable with.See how that runs. I guarantee that your offense will run better.

I will also guarantee, no matter how well it works and no matter how much success you have, that if you remove or don't reinforce the rule, the players will stop throwing it in.

It's not your team, it's just basketball.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 18:37 

I agree with Don...... this stuff happens at every level. You have to reinforce it DAILY..... and remember this... what ever you allow them to do in practice, they will do in games.... so every practice you have to DEMAND that the ball gets into the post BEFORE and jump shot is taken.

This is something that you are going to have to work on at every practice.... getting the ball in to the post players..... 7-10 minutes a day and IF you have an assistant you can do it on both ends of the floor. -- IF you have 4 baksets to work with and enough eyes - do it at every basket.... the more reps you give them the better they will get.

IF the ball is getting tipped a lot then they are not pass faking and forcing the defender to move his hands and arms - another thought is to make sure that the passer has a good angle to deliver the ball to the post player.