All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 07:55 

hi to all coaches..i took over team of 14-15 years old...i have 2 weeks to competition....
we are not big team, and not quite fast, but we are strong. better in inside shooting...
a talked to former coach about offense and defence they did in last year,
OFFENSE: give and go, p'n'r
DEFENCE; 1-2-1-1 full court , 2-3 zone

questions:
1.what would you play in offense?(i was thinking flex)
2.what would you play in defence?(i was thinking m2m)
3.off the topic question: is GIVE AND GO same as 5 OUT MOTION ?

THANK YOU COACHES, Darko

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 11:10 

First of all, play m2m defense... that way you will teach them how to play the game.

Let me throw this out to you and the group.... how many times have you driven by a park or stopped and watched kids play bball? How many times do you see them playing a zone. They have a better idea of how the game should be played than some adults do.

Keep your offense simple... pass and cut to the basket - fill spots on the floor... IF You have a good kid in the post, try to utilize him. Pick and rolls can be difficult to defend at that age unless they are well coached at showing early. Flex might work for your kids as long as you have the time to teach it to them so they understand it well.

You can give and go with a 4 out or 5 out offense. I am a 5 out ( Open Post ) guy.... I love all the space it gives you for takes to the basket and back door opportunities.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 12:22 

Coach Sar wrote:
. I love all the space it gives you for takes to the basket and back door opportunities.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

coach...if i play 5 -out...i will not have rebounding...all 4 players are far away from basket, only shooter is neer the rim.. am i correct?

question no.3...is give and go, same as 5 out?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 13:56 

Coach, there is a trade off here rebounding wise........ but out rule was this... if someone took the ball to the basket from a wing.... the opposite wing would cut to the basket on the other side.... looking for a rebound or a dump pass, if the ball was a take from the top... both wings can start to fill. You would like to think that your shooting percentages would be pretty good with lay ups (takes)

Give and go is just a part of the game of basketball ..... you can do this from various sets... so its not the same as 5 out.

You can pass and cut to the basket and fill a spot
You can pass and screen away - fill that spot or come back to the ball and make yourself available
You can pass cut and replace yourself