All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 03:30 

Hi Coaches,

In our play-off series we are 1-1 in a best of five. Yesterday our opponent came up with a 2-3 match-up zone that we had a lot of trouble with. We tried a zone offense and our mtm offenses which are a flex kind of offense and a 4 out 1 in motion with a lot passing and cutting.

Who has got an offense or play that worked well? Who love to know!

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 06:44 

We used to run a match up zone and a couple of things that caused us problems were a hi low game.. so IF you have a good post player.... that can work... the other thing you can do is to completely overload a side... and leave your best shooter or slasher on the back side. It forces them in to a m2m situation.

Like I said.... and IF you have a good post player that back side defender will have to be in the help position deeper than he might want to be.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 07:24 

Thanks Coach for your quick respsonse. We do have an offense with a high low post that we could use. I'm wondering if we have that great shooter/slasher on the weakside ( we have one) than I understand it forces them more into a MTM but we will be playing MTM with an overload. I really don't like that spacing. How would you transport the ball into the shooter/slasher or isn't that the idea? And if not how do we score out of that overload?

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 07:33 

I can tell you is what they did to us.... because this team had such a good post player. we had to pay a lot of attention to him down low... that allowed them to skip pass to the weak side.... wide open for 3s..... and if they close out too fast on you, you can drive past them.

It's not so much about the spacing here... it more about the Xs and 0s forcing them to do something that you can attack... a weakness in their armor so to speak?

* Low post player and a player on the baseline ball side
* Hi post player, you can even bring him up to the 3 point line and a wing player above the FT line extended...
* Weak side player

First look is into the low post.... deep wing player can play 2 man game
Hi Low action
Weakside wing

As the ball goes higher, the low post can try to duk in a little forcing more help from the backside - leaving backside wing open- clearer?

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 07:38 

Find the middle. You can use various sets with high lows, 2-1-2, etc...Just find the middle. Depending on your strengths on offense but use your best players to catch the ball in the middle and attack.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 10:25 

We always followed this simple philosophy: "odds and evens"

If a team played us a 2-3zone, that meant we went into a 3 guard alignment (wing-top-win) with our bigs rotating from low post-flashing middle and then to the ball side corner. (1-3-1, we went with 2 guards up top, 2 on the post and 1 running baseline).

The best zone killer is:
1.) ball movement - continually reversing the ball and shifting the D
2.) The middle (which as been mentioned a few times) is the biggest zone detriment. By getting the ball into the middle of the paint it disrupts everything because of all options you create.
3.) Attack gaps - your guards need to recognize and attack gap opportunities, by splitting the gap you are drawing defenders to you, which leads to open shooters.

I hope this helps, good luck

Dan
www.innovativeathletes.com

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 12:08 

Thank you to all of you! I see some opportunities to attack them next time.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 18:08 

Coach: Let us know the results, thanks Coach Mac

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 00:57 

Unfortunately we lost the series but tit had nothing do to with that zone they played. Somehow they killed us mentally during the second games because we never played well against them after that. They stepped up there game and we couldn't follow. We lost the series 3-1.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Bart

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 09:07 

You still had a good season, nothing to be ashamed about. Its a learning process.... they will understand what it takes the next time they reach that leve

Good luck and keep up the good work.

I was watching one of our old games.... and we got buried in a Thanksgiving tournery....... I mean buried...... but after Christmas.... we were playing very well. It takes time to bring them along.