All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 09:16 

Coach,

I am an assistant coach for a high school team and we run a motion offense. During our last two district games our opponents have run a box and one against our top offensive player with some success. Although we did win both games, I would like a couple of good options of attacking this defense as we will continue to see it as we play.

I would appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

Coach Reed

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 09:22 
Site Admin

Coach Reed,

Have you seen this article? It offers some good advice.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/offense-junk-defense.html

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 11:04 

Jeff,

I read this article again... mostly the comments section.... be careful with this comment
"Players of that age will not understand defense very well. If you can get them to understand how to stay between the ball and the basket when playing defense on the ball, you're doing better than most high school coaches."
I might take exception to that one and have to find you hahaha.
I DO understand what you are saying... teaching m2m is an ongoing process... perfecting it each and every day.... it takes a huge commitment.. whether they play man or zone.. they need to know how to defend on and off the ball.

I'll try to describe what we did vs a box and 1. Double stack on one side with your next best shooter low on the stack... player being boxed is on opposite wing and he plays 2 man game with post player on his side... they can screen, curl around etc.
point guard attacks the top of the zone on the stack side... the shooter steps out, the post player back pivots and screens the post defender and seals him.... NOW you have a 3 on 2 situation... shooter had a wide open shot or a 2 man game with low post player. This worked very well for me.

Another time we weren't prepared for a box on a sophomore shooter we had... so I put him on the baseline and went 1-3-1 .... the other wing hit 5 threes in a row, they went m2m and we lost... too bad he didn't stay in that D.