All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2020, 16:38 

Been watching the Princeton videos and my question is this: what do you do if you can't get a shot out of the various actions? Do teams just play a motion style offense (freelance, read and react, dribble drive?) if low or point series fails? Do they call out chin and just run continuity if point or low fails? Do they go to a spread ball screen? Or do all of these options work?

If you were to say all of these options work, which seems to flow most naturally out of the point and low series? What would be simplest for the players considering the challenges of running the Princeton offense?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2020, 20:10 

That is a great question.

First of all, a lot is dependent upon if a shot clock is involved. I know most of the time if Coach Jennings teams do not get anything out of the original action, they will go into some ball screen action or something designed for end of shot clock situation.

If you do not have a shot clock, then yes, I think all of the options you mentioned work. My personal preference would be to go into. 5 out motion or 4 out 1 in motion, depending upon personnel. I agree, there is a lot to focus on offensively for players when running Princeton. I think knowing that they are going simply into a motion offense if they don't get anything out of the original action would be relatively easy for the players get into out of the Princeton action.

The one thing players would need to know is how to get into their motion offense at the end of the Princeton action. That can be done however you see fit as a coach, no right or wrong, Eventually your team will flow from the end of the set to your motion offense and it will be tough to tell where one ends and the other begins.

Good Luck!