All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 23:26 

I would like to get some opinions on the swing offense for a high school boys basketball team. What are the pros and cons of it say versus the motion offense I am used to. Does anybody have any experience with it? I just got done watching a few badger games when they had there final four teams thinking I would see it and they only ran it a couple of times in those games. Can you run that swing pattern for a whole game with success?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:34 
Site Admin

I dabbled with the swing years ago. But never really used it in games. I have dabbled with lots of other offenses continuity and motion. Here are my thoughts...

- If you do a great job teaching it, yes it will work really well and you can use it the entire game. but you have to be committed to it!

- Cons to the swing offense are the same as any other continuity offense... it can be scouted, you have to spend LOTS of time on the continuity... lots of reps with and without defense, and from what I know it is probably less flexible than a motion.

- I don't think it's "what you run"... it's "how you run an offense". I think that if you believe in an offense, you understand it, and you are good at teaching it.... then any offense will be very effective. I really don't think any offense is better than another at the high school level. I think if you thoroughly understand, know how to counter situations, and know how to adapt the offense... that is what really matters. If an offense is not good, I think it's just you have a bad teacher. That is my opinion.

It all goes back to have skilled players, spacing, ball movement, player movement, a balanced inside and outside attack, and taking good shots. The swing will give you all of that. So will motion. I am a motion guy... I think I can do anything from motion... make it simple or adapt to anything. So I don't mess with continuity stuff anymore.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 18:22 

Thanks Jeff I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. This will always be my go to basketball site . thank you