All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 17:08 

We are playing a much bigger team this week who can also shoot it from 3 very well. Any suggestions on how to play them both on offense and defense???

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 18:40 

I usually suggest not doing big sweeping changes when you find yourself playing teams like these. If you've seen them play, I'd pick a few areas to key on and go with that. For example, if they rely on their big guy a lot, I'd deny the ball to him. If they have a hot 3 point shooter, I'd deny that player the ball. When I say deny, I mean deny. Like zero ball touches is the goal. If they like to play fast paced, slow it down. In other words, try and figure out what this team's comfort zone is and try to take them out of that.

If it's just a team with a ton of talent player for player, I'd emphasize hustle. They might be bigger and be able to shoot 3's, but everyone can hustle for loose balls, hustle on defense, and hustle back down the court.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 07:05 
Site Admin

I agree. Play your game. Be aggressive. Constantly get better at skills and all the fundamentals of offense and defense.

That's all you can do.

If you have better skills, better offensive fundamentals, and better defensive fundamentals... you can sometimes beat more talented teams that are bigger.

Nothing is better than a great motion offense that get's you lay ups, open shots, and puts a talented opponents on their heals. But that is long term thing that takes lots of fundamental practice. I don't think there are any good short term solutions.