All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 21:47 

I recently purchased Don Kelbick's fastbreak video and really like it. I took his advice from the ebook and really just have my guys who are ahead of the ball run wide and those who are behind the ball run the middle. Having said that, sometimes I have two guys who end up running the same lane, which isn't really a problem. However, would you suggest the first guy cut to the basket and let the second guy go to the corner, or would you just have them both stay on the same side and one fill the corner and the other fill the wing?

Thanks,

Kyle Leach

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 10:21 
Site Admin

Depends. Where do you want them to end up at the end of the break? What spots should they be in to seamlessly flow into your half court offense?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 18:31 

Well, we run an open post motion so I have been having them just run to the corner and not cutting though. I haven't really given them a lot of rules, just push it up and pass ahead. If you are behind the ball just run middle and look for a place to fill. Sometimes, though, we end up with two on the same side the ball is, and I just thought about telling them to cut through.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 20:23 

I would say that in addition to our open post motion, we do run Flex as a secondary offense. I know that on the dvd, coach showed how to flow into flex, 4 out/1in, and 3 out/2 in motion by having a player cut to the middle, or run the Carolina break and rim run. Since I haven't been sending anyone down the middle (only the sideline) I am trying to figure out the best way to flow into flex too. Maybe I could have my trail guy cut to the block, or have my point pass ahead and cut to the block, or just designate a player to cut to the block. I'm just looking for a way to flow seamlessly into open post and into flex. Having said all of that, I may just use flex on dead balls, out of time outs, etc... kind of like a set play instead of trying to fastbreak into it and the open post. So far, I really like just keeping it simple and telling them to run wide if ahead of the ball and get to the corners/wing and spot up and if you are behind the ball, just fill the top or find an open place on the perimeter. I really love the attack mentality he teaches on the dvd and the drills he uses to emphasize that mentality regardless of what type of break you run.

Kyle Leach

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 10:38 
Site Admin

Kyle -

I agree with you about keeping things simple. I would suggest teaching only one transition offense. Then if you have second offense like Flex, just give them a simple way to run your normal transition and then get into flex. A basic pass and cut could get you into flex (cutter just stops on the post and you're in it). Or like you said, make it a called offense after dead ball.

For our transition offense into 5 out, I decided to just write a quick blog post with diagrams. Here's what we run:
http://jeffhaefner.com/coach/our-transition-offense-super-simple/

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 09:55 

Jeff,

I greatly appreciate your thoughts on transition offense and I really like the "super simple" transition offense coaching blog article you shared. That is pretty much how I am running my break with my high school team too. The only other thing that I am doing this year as well is I am not telling a specific kid to inbound the ball or bring it up the court on a rebound. We are mostly guards and can mostly all handle the ball, so I tell whoever rebounds it, if you are a guard, turn and go! We too look to headman the ball and run wide. If you are a post, they turn and find our point guard to outlet while everyone else is running wide to their spots in the open post, just like your break. Again, I greatly appreciate your time and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. I greatly appreciate it! Love the website and the forum y'all provide for us to bounce ideas off of each other.

God bless,

Kyle Leach, Quitman High School, Louisiana