All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 10:02 

I have been running the flex offense for a few years with my teams, and I absolutely love it! In the past, we have struggled against teams that switch our screening actions (flex screen into the down screen action). I have tried to attack this with some different ideas (pin downs, back screens, slips, etc), but nothing seems to keep us in a flow, so we usually adjust to our 3 out 2 in motion set. This works fine at times, but I would like to be able to stay with our flex actions even when teams switch us because I feel our teams are more efficient in that set.

Do you have any thoughts that you don't mind sharing with me about what you guys do or did when teams switch your flex screening actions?

Thanks for your help, and keep up the great work of being a tremendous ambassador for the game of basketball!!

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 10:16 
Site Admin

In Don Kelbick's Flex video he shows how players can go to the basket when they read the switch to get inside position. He also has a rule that when you reach the limit of your offensive range and you're covered, you go back door. Those two rules seem to work together keeping the continuity going. It's a little hard to explain in text but he goes over the ways to handle switches and pressure releases in the DVD.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/hybrid-flex.html

Beyond that I have not run flex at a high level, so I can only comment on what I have seen others do. Maybe others in the forum have experience with the flex.

PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 12:15 

I ran the fllex a lot as a soph coach.. had a lot of success.... as a Varsity coach I ran it for a couple of years.... ran it with back screens... brought the offense out a little higher , used the flex cutter as a screener for the post player and the post rolled in behind him ( got that from a coach in Hawaiii )

I thiought it was good for switching Ds...... set my small guard on the block and big post to downscreen, he just turned and sealed that man..... they never did adjust.

From there I went to Motion... 3 out then 5 out Open Post.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 16:31 

We do a couple of things with our players for switching.

1. when we down screen after the flex cut, we have the down screen er roll and seal his man on the block/ short corner area. Works very well for big little miss matches also doesn't break the flow of the offense. If the roll isn't open he simply pops corner and the actions resume as normal

2. The corner flex cutter will instead pop to the elbow while the flex screen er fakes the screen and slips to the basket for an easy lay up. the down screen would slide to the corner

3. with our better shooters, when the go to set the flex screen at the short corner area, we would have them slip the screen and run directly into the down screen for a shot. This usually end up for a wide open elbow jumper or they switch and we get a mis match down low and on the perimiter