All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 17:26 

I'm the head middle school girls' coach. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Read & React offense? I've ran it for the past 2 years and have had success with it (when teams run man-to-man against us). We usually run 4-out and 5-out. My biggest problem is the time constraints that I have to effectively put the offense in and make some of their reads and reactions to be automatic. My "A" team can usually pick it up pretty well, but my "B" team struggles with it. Last year, I started putting some set plays in when we were in a 4-out set to help get things moving a bit. Just looking for some outside perspective.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 06:46 
Site Admin

I think that just like any offense, it can work extremely well. I think that every conceivable offense has won a state championship. So it's not so much what you run, but how you run it.

I think it's a good offense if you commit to it and there's a lot of people that like it. And I know there are some people that don't like it. This is true of any offense.

I personally do not use the R & R mostly because it doesn't fit my style of coaching and teaching... I like to teach players how to come off of screens and read their screens and cuts, instead of reading the ball. This is just what I used, seems like really fundamental basketball to me, and works for me.

I also have a free form motion offense that takes 20 minutes for me to teach and we're ready to start playing. This allows me to spend tons of time on fundamentals. Don't get me wrong, we spend huge amounts of time on offense but it's almost all fundamental based... shooting, driving, passing, spacing, reading away screens, getting better at cutting, using footwork to beat people, etc. It takes a very long time to do those things but the pay off is enormous. And even when we are bad at certain fundamentals to start with, just by having good spacing, ball movement, and player movement... our offense is pretty darn good.

So I think the biggest cons to the offense are that you have to spend a lot of time teaching kids to read the ball. And you are reading the ball instead of screens. Maybe there is a way to do both, I don't know.

With that said, there are many benefits to the offense. There is no doubt that it works! I think the biggest benefit to the R&R is that it's laid out step by step for any coach to implement. There is little guess work. You just follow the template and this is exactly what some coaches need.

I think it goes back to my original point... it's not what you run, it's how you run it. You have to believe in it, understand it, commit to it, and teach it effectively.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 18:22 

Thanks for the reply Jeff! Do you have a link to the free-form motion offense that you can teach in 20 minutes?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 10:57 
Site Admin

Coach,

It all started by reading Don Kelbick's motion offense ebook:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/motionoffense.html

So I'd recommend that you start with that. Once you get a chance to read through it and think about it, I can send you what I do. What I send won't make much sense until you read that or at least understand the rules and concepts behind a a true free form motion. It took me a couple years to realize the motion offense was much simpler that I was making it. Once I realized that i was able to teach it and get it started in about 20 min. Just shoot me an email and I can send you what I do. It's not documented anywhere online.

PostPosted: 03 May 2014, 18:05 

Jeff - I've read don's e book and feel like I have a good handle on it. If you have a chance I'd like to see your 20 minute free form offense ideas. I have 10-11 yr olds. Half fairly experienced and capable and half new. They work hard though. Thanks.

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 06:03 
Site Admin

I just emailed you some info. If you don't receive it for some reason, let me know.

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 09:52 

I've done quite a bit of reading on the read and react offense. Is there a quick bullet point list someone can provide that compares the R&R to the free-form motion that Jeff and Don promote?

Or, Jeff, is it possible to get some of your info emailed to me?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 10:08 

Same here with me. I'd love to see your information on your free-form offense. I've done quite a bit of reading on motion offenses over the past 2 years.

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 10:57 
Site Admin

I'm no expert on the R & R but from what I gather, here are some of the differences....

- The R & R has a designed structure. They basically give you the rules of the offense. Our free form motion is what ever you want it to be. It gives you ideas for rules, but it's your motion based on the strengths, age, etc of your players. The rules of the motion are what make it unique and your offense. You get 100 people that buy the ebook and you'll get 100 different offenses that they run. None of them will look exactly the same.

- The R & R is primarily based on what the ball does (if the ball is dribbled at you, go backdoor... if the ball does this, hand off, if the ball goes inside, do this... ). I don't remember all the rules but for the most part you read the ball. You can start basic but if you want to advance all the way through, there is quite a bit to remember. That of course takes time to learn the movements/read based on what the ball does.

- Our motion offense can be structured, if you want it to be, but we don't necessarily suggest that. Generally players have more freedom and there are few hard and fast rules (do this if they ball is dribbled at you). It's based more on spacing, giving players freedom, defining roles, decision making, and skill development.

- When it comes to "reads", our motion has players reading screens and other players instead of reading what the ball does. That is a big difference. Although you could do that with our motion if you wanted it to. That's what motion is. It can be based on ball reads like the R&R, Princeton like cuts (like the Princeton offense), or the dribble drive (like the dribble drive motion). It's all based on "your rules" that you choose to add.

I know that with my teams motion, we teach players how to set and read ball screens and away/down screens. Sometimes we do flare screens too. Just depends on the team you have. I'm not sure if reading screens would fit into the R & R since it's based on reading the ball.

Both offenses are very good. If you need structure, something like the R&R might be better for you. I don't run the R&R because I like to teach players how to read screens, I don't want to spend that much time teaching the ball reads, and I prefer more flexibility. In addition, I have found that giving players freedom and minimizing rules has really helped our players take off and develop. I believe it's because they are not "thinking" out there and they are just playing. The less rules we have in our offense, the better. That's just what works for me.

But I watched the R&R DVDs and learned some good stuff from them! And I know other coaches that run it and do quite well with it.

It's not so much "what you do"... it's "how you do it". So pick an offense you believe in and get really good at it.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, let us know.

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 11:19 

Thanks Jeff! You are correct....the R&R is based off what the ball is doing. All player reactions are based off of what the ball is doing. Good distinction between the R&R and your free-form motion. The R&R does not incorporate a lot of screens in it. They do have some "Pin" Screens in a more advanced layer of the R&R, but my 8th graders only learn the first 4 layers. Again, I appreciate your time in the response.