All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 10:26 

I need information on how to defend the pick and roll: Ice; Hedging, etc.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 15:40 

One discussion here:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1613&view=previous

I tend to pick one or two choices, practice them (a lot) and go with it to make things simple. Especially at the younger levels. I've found over complicating things and giving the players too many options usually doesn't work. Probably will depend on your player's basketball IQ and your coaching style.

Here's more info on some basics.
http://www.online-basketball-drills.com/3-schemes-to-shut-down-the-pick-and-roll-0525

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 19:42 

I'll second that.

The younger the age group, the less you should do. When it comes to pick and roll defense, I'd go with one that you can do from any spot on the court.

For example; ICING the pick and roll is totally different from the center of the court than from the wing. You'd have to chew up valuable practice time practicing both situations.

Whatever you choose to do should fit with your defensive philosophy.

If you are a pack-line team, you may want to practice hedge and under. If you want to bring a ton of pressure, going hedge and over or trapping the pick and roll may be more your style.

I know switching if frowned upon (the reasons why, I get. Just remember John Wooden and Denny Crum won multiple titles with switching man-to-man defenses). If you have a bunch of long, athletic types that can guard multiple positions, switching pick and roll is a real and effective option.

But whatever you choose to do, you may just want to go with one type of style, and perfect it. Pro's do it on position, personnel, and tendencies. Most coaches at the youth to high school level don't have time to get that specific.

Some very good ones still pull it off.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 07:03 

I am far from an expert but this is how we tell our 5th graders to defend it. 1st, if your man is setting a screen you must communicate who is getting screened. We get a bunch of moving screen calls just by getting our feet moving.Early communication is important. Guy getting screened fights hard through it then we tell them deny the roll the ball. We then rely on our help to collapse and not let the ball get to the rim. Simple but effective. We only play man and see a lot of pick and roll. We do get a mis match here and there but overall the kids defend screens very well